Nokukhanya (Chapter 13)

Chapter 13

●Nokukhanya Ngwenya 

He has been here for almost two hours we even missed our check-up appointment I just couldn’t bring myself to disturb their moment. She is so happy and free around him which is a shocker normally she doesn’t connect with people she doesn’t know that fast. I’ve been sitting here watching them ever since I can’t even move from here and right now it’s her nap time but I’m scared to tell Langa this. I’m even hungry for heaven's sake.

Aahhh! Why the drama heh? Just tell the man ulambile. This bitch in my head tells me sipping her wine and watching from a distance. 

“Langa…”

“Yes…” The smile disappears from him.

“She needs to take her nap now.” I say and earn an evil frown from him. Yho!

“Can I put her to bed?” He asks.

“Yes of course. Follow me.” 

What the hell are you doing! The last time you were in the same bedroom as him you dropped your pants and right now you want him to follow you in your room….what? Do you want another child with him? Sunshine I know you can be stupid at times but right now you are embarrassing me…seriously!
My subconscious complaints and I openly ignore this bitch. She is trying to get me into trouble I see.

“You can put her there. I still haven’t completed her room as yet, so she sleeps with me or sometimes with her grandparents.” I explain. Don’t even ask me why I saw the need to tell him all of this. He blatantly ignores the shit out of me and places a kiss on her forehead then walks out. Sigh. What now.
I follow him and find him hiding his face between his legs. This is not a good sign. He looks ready mad, like murderously angry.

“Langa I’m sorry,” I say.

“What are you sorry for Nokukhanya heh?” He asks. Still faced down.

“For keeping her away from you.”

“That’s all?”

“Yes.” There’s more?

“Mhmm.” He says coming straight to me and I don’t like the look on him so I move back.

“I mean what do you want me to say.?” I ask.

“How about you apologize for everything. Me missing doctor’s appointments, first kicks,  your cravings, her birth! Not just you keeping her from me!” He shouts.

“Don’t shout at me.” 

“I will shout at you, however, I see fit! How dare you keep her from me!”

“Langelihle you need to keep your voice down or else you will wake uNonjabulo. Angithi I’m here next to you there’s no need to scream like that.” I say calmly and he just… 

“What did you say? Repeat what you just said to me.” Why is he looking like that? Like he is pained. 

“I said keep your voice down.” My voice comes out in a soft tone. I don’t like the look on his face. Even though I hate him for sleeping with me as a married man, he gave me a gift, a daughter and I will forever be grateful for that.

He is still looking at me and I stare back. He walks over back to the couch and I follow him. I sit next to him and we remain silent. This is awkward. I wish he can say something. I want us to talk so we can come up with a solution. After a minute that feels like it’s been years of quietness, he opens his mouth.

“What’s her name?” I look up at him and his eyes are glossy with tears.

“Nonjabulo.”