Nokukhanya (Chapter 30)

Chapter 30

● Nokukhanya Ngwenya 

His family is still here, and I don’t have the guts to leave my room and go face them. After Langa left me in our guestroom, I went straight to our room, and I’ve been in here ever since. I wanted to go and just explain, but I heard his mother and grandmother shouting at him. One of the aunts might have joined in as well, and that was not for me. My stress level wouldn’t take any of that. Should they shout at me like that, I swear I would deliver this baby now. 

I just finished taking a shower, and I miss my daughter. Let me face my fears and get this over and done with. Just as I’m about to open my door, Lindokuhle walks in, carrying a sleeping Nonjabulo. He looks angry.  I watch him put her down and kiss her temple. Then…

“I thought we were close mina nawe.” He speaks after giving me a look I can’t even explain.

“We are.” I reply.

“I find that hard to believe.”

“We are Lindo.”

“Then why did you not tell me you guys got married?” he asks.

“It’s complicated.” It is.

“Then uncomplicate it for me because I have plenty of time to listen to your drama with my brother.” The hell is his problem.

“Lindokuhle.”

“Yini! I want you to tell me why you got married to him? What is it about him that you always find yourself going back to him. He doesn’t love you like I…. like I… damnit Nokukhanya maan! You never listen wena and you can’t even see what’s right in front of you!”

F*ck! What has just happened. 

I watch him walk out, banging the door behind him. I am so glad my daughter did not wake up after that. What does he mean Langa doesn’t love me? I know he does.

He does, right?

.

.

.

“You are still alive? Makoti?” That’s the grandmother. I’m hungry that’s why I’m here. 

“Yebo Mma.”

“Mhhmm.” She speaks. This woman is something else I tell you. Now I am just standing here and not knowing if I should carry on and ignore all the stares on me and go eat or must I just explain that he forced me. Maybe I should lie and tell them that he threatened me after that drama he had with his fake wife.

“Uhm…” I begin to explain myself, but...

“Ulambile neh?” God bless my mother-in-law she is such a blessing in life. Here I was thinking I’m going to have to explain myself while I’m hungry and frustrated. 

“Yebo Mma.”

“Sit down, I will go and fetch you something to eat, then you can tell us why you and that husband of yours did not think to let us know of the changes. Hlala phansi.” Eish. I spoke too soon.

I watch as she disappears to the kitchen while the other Gumede women watch me as if I stole one of their goats. I’m in deep shit. That I know.

Yho!

“Are you really married to that hard-headed?” I nod. This food is delicious.

“When did this happen.” I swallow my food and look up to find all the beautiful Gumede women looking at me. What is this? I thought she said I should eat before I tell them the whole story.