Part 15

'Sa-Saved!'

Zoella was really glad when she saw a teacher come into her class and started the lesson. That way, she could stop dealing with those people earlier.

'I feel bad. They didn't do anything wrong yet but it'll be best to set boundaries first.'

They were different from the bullies in her world. While these people only attacked her by words, the bullies attacked her physically. But still, there was nothing wrong with being cautious.

Moreover, there was no human right in this world. So even though Hayes told her to do anything she wanted but who knows what could happen later on.

Her head could be sent flying at any time if she were to make a wrong choice.

Her initial plan was to be unnoticed by anyone. Of course, it was busted because she was Hayes's disciple. So she changed it to pretend to be timid and let everyone assume that she was just lucky.

However, problems seemed to like Zoella very much that they always came to her. Also with her personality, she couldn't stand being underestimated.

So now she decided to set her place as high as possible to prevent another annoying thing.

"Miss Rae, can you tell the class about mana in our body?"

Zoella was a bit startled when her name was called.

The look of this teacher was unpleasant. As if she was trying to judge her. No, she was judging her.

"Mana is something every mage needs to use magic. It was innate so mana cannot be inherited. A mage can also strengthen and increase their mana with some methods."

The teacher's eyes twitch. She thought Zoella would be one of those rookies who didn't know anything yet.

"Correct. So..."

Zoella scoffed internally. Now she knows that she couldn't rely on the teachers here except Hayes.

***

"You're really brave Zoella."

"Huh?"

Zoella paused the spoon that was about to go into her mouth. She turned her head toward Margaret beside her. Zoella and Margaret were in the cafeteria once the lesson had ended.

Actually, she was uncomfortable in this place because she could feel the stares from her surroundings. But she also didn't want Margaret to worry about her.

"You stand against Young Lady Edel and Young Master Ortis. Also, do you know that the teacher earlier, Mrs. Morbath is really hostile toward Sir Castor?"

"Ahh, that makes sense. No wonder she picks on me when it's only the first day."

She answered uninterestedly as she chewed her food.

"Also don't call them Master or Lady. As I said before, in this Academy, we're all the same."

Margaret smiled at her but also felt worried. She couldn't decide whether Zoella's bravery was something to be relieved of or not.

Most commoner students couldn't think of them as the same as the nobles. They were still using honorifics. But Zoella didn't do that. She even talked informally to them.

Even though Zoella had Hayes to back her up, it didn't change the fact that Zoella was a commoner.

"You don't need to worry about that. Something more annoying will probably come anytime soon."

Margaret frowned in confusion. She thought that dealing with the nobles was annoying enough. But, something more annoying than them? She couldn't fathom what was in her new friend's mind.

"Found you guys."

Zoella looked up as she heard a familiar girl's voice in front of her. It was Lilian and Warren.

They put their meals on the table and sat on the chair across from the two girls.

"I heard you did something crazy, Zoella."

She confusedly stared at Warren.

"Which is?"

"They said you mocked Young Master Ortis because he was rejected by Sir Castor."

"Mocked? Zoella didn't do such a thing!"

Margaret said angrily. She looked toward Zoella when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"I will explain it to you."

Lilian and Warren listened to her carefully. Zoella explained literally everything starting when the orange-haired boy asked Hayes about her, two noble girls who picked a fight and slander her, and lastly, the teacher who seemed hostile toward her.

The two of them frowned after listening to her story.

"How could they do that?"

"Still you need to be careful, Zoella. It'd be best for you to just avoid those kinds of people."

"Thanks, Warren, Lilian. Also, I've been meaning to ask. You guys just met me today but why did you trust me?"

"What? You want us to trust the rumors instead?"

Zoella shook her head vigorously at Margaret's words.

"Of course not! It's just almost everyone believed them."

"Well, I don't really know the rumors about you before I come here. So I don't really care since I've met you."

"Warren is right. I only hear about rumors that you're Sir Castor's hidden child but he already denied that, right?"

"It's fine if you still don't trust us, Zoella. But I'm sure you will come around."

"Thank... you."

"Alright, let's just eat now before the bell ring."

Zoella smiled bitterly while watching her friends eat their meals before she picked up her spoon again.

Fortunately, the awkwardness didn't last long as Warren talked about something else. Hence, they were having a good time as if the awkwardness earlier was never happened.

For some reason, Zoella was relieved about this but also feels bad.

'I only need some time. Let's take it slowly.'

Tap tap tap~

'Rude wench! She thinks she can do anything she wants?!'

A woman in her mid-twenties, Astrid Morbath tapped the armrest of the bench she was sitting on. She didn't forget Zoella's eyes when she looked at her.

"What made that man accept her?"

Astrid was one of the best teachers at the Datmonia Academy. Although she considered Hayes as her rival, she still couldn't be compared to Hayes Castor. A prodigy among the mage. 

As she had a higher position than Hayes, she naturally thought that Hayes would have no choice but to respect her.

She was wrong. Hayes didn't even bat an eye at her. 

Though she didn't like it, since Hayes was from nobility heritage she assumed it was normal for him to be arrogant. However, it was different for that girl who was a commoner. 

"I'll make her know her place."

"Who is?"

Astrid flinched at the sound of a man.

Hayes Castor. He was standing beside her with his arm folded.

"I hope you're not talking about my disciple, Mrs. Morbath."

"What are you-"

"You know right? I despise someone who meddles in my business."

Chills could be felt on Astrid's spine. She rarely met this guy but she knew his personality so well.

"Try something and you will need to deal with me."

Astrid's body trembled. She never felt this much pressure in her life. In her eyes, Hayes's smile was like that of the devil.