Part 16

Jasper Ortis was the first son of Marquess Ortis who was famous for his talent in magic. He was 10 years old when he found out he had mana in his body. He also trained diligently so that he could wield some basic magic.

His Father, Phillip Ortis, was extremely proud of his son that he immediately sent a letter to Hayes Castor to be Jasper's teacher. He believed that Hayes won't refuse his offer.

However, a bitter reply came to him. Hayes refused to take his son as a disciple. With a heavy heart, the Marquess asked another person to be his son's teacher.

Despite Hayes's rejection, Jasper still looked up to him as he was the strongest mage in the empire.

'Then why? Why did he take her in?'

Jasper clenched his fist. He thought the news about Hayes taking in a disciple was just a baseless rumor. But that was not the case. Hayes even confirmed it himself in the class earlier.

"What's the reason?!"

Jasper flinched.

It was Astrid's voice. He followed her voice's direction which leads him to the bench near the greenhouse. He hid behind the tree while observing them.

"You seem to care so much about that girl."

Astrid stood in front of Hayes, looking at him in the eyes. Her expression showed anger, disappointment, sadness, and confusion.

'You don't even see me as your equal so why that girl?'

On the other hand, Hayes looked at her indifferently.

"Of course, I care about her. Especially since I took so much effort to make her my disciple. That's why I won't let a fly like you bother her."

Jasper who was hiding surprised at Hayes's words. At this time, he remembered Zoella's words this morning.

'When he asked me to be his disciple, at first I refused.'

'You can ask him yourself and I guarantee that our stories are a match.'

She didn't lie. What she told him was the truth. He thought she was just spouting nonsense.

"Ackk!"

Astrid's voice made Jasper come back to reality. How surprised he was when he saw Astrid floating in the air being strangled by Hayes's mana.

"You're a teacher in this Academy, Mrs. Morbath. It'd be best for you to forget that nasty hierarchy."

"For...give..."

Hayes released his mana and made Astrid fall to the ground while touching her neck.

"I'll let you slide this once. But if you try something, you need to deal with me. Seriously."

Astrid nodded weakly.

Hayes glanced at the tree where Jasper was hiding before finally leaving.

***

The rest of the day was surprisingly passed peacefully. Zoella thought she needed to deal with the nobles some more. But they were quiet.

Especially Jasper. It seemed that he was avoiding her.

'Well, that's good for me but why suddenly?'

Of course, Zoella would have no way to know the reason he was avoiding her was because of what he saw today.

"I can't believe he gave us homework on the first day."

Margaret grumbled while pouting her lips.

"Well, it's not the best Academy for no reason."

Lilian sighed. The four of them were on their way to the dorm. The girl's dorm and the boy's dorm were near so Warren was able to walk back with his friends.

"Still it was too-"

Margaret didn't finish her words. Her three friends looked at her before turning their heads away to Margaret's eyes direction.

It was Hayes leaning at the dorm's gate.

"Si... Sir Hayes Castor."

Warren stuttered while Lilian and Margaret rubbed their eyes to make sure that it was really Hayes.

"Sigh, what are you doing here teacher?"

Zoella asked nonchalantly. Her three friends beside her were shocked to see her behavior toward Hayes. It was only natural since they never see their usual interaction.

"This brat. Why can't you act happy when you see me just like your friends?"

She looked at her friends who were still shocked.

"Ni... nice to meet you, Sir Castor. My name is Warren Piers from the Business department."

"I am Margaret Norris from the Magic department and happened to be in your class."

"I am Lilian Myers from the Swordsmanship department. It's an honor to meet you, Sir."

"It's nice to meet you guys. Please be a good friend to Zoe."

"Yes, Sir!"

They answered in unison. Their eyes shone brightly as if they were meeting their idol. Well, they are.

"Look, Zoe. You could be at least half excited as them when you see me."

Hayes said it pitifully while pretending to be sad. Zoella could only roll her eyes looking at his behavior.

"Anyways, I'm here to pick you up. There's someone who wants to meet you. That old man will scold me really badly if I keep you hidden from him."

Zoella raised her left eyebrow because it was the first time she saw Hayes look dejected. Even when Harriet was mad at him, he just brushed it off.

"Well, you guys can go ahead first."

The three of them nodded before they bowed to Hayes and left for the dorm.

Hayes gestured to start walking with his head and Zoella followed him. Truthfully, Zoella was really curious about the person who wanted to meet her. But she didn't ask because she will meet him eventually.

"Ah, right. Teacher, you have some people who don't like you, huh?"

"Who told you?"

"Well, words are spread by the wind."

"Then you also know that your magic theory teacher had an unrequited love for me back then."

Zoella's eyes widened. She was flabbergasted at his words and the fact that he knew she was talking about Astrid Morbath.

"Teacher, I already know that you're crazy but I didn't know you are also delusional."

Hayes looked offended.

"I'm not. Why can't you just admit that my charm is irresistible?"

Zoella put on a disgusting expression. She didn't know what to do anymore to her teacher.

"You were also bewitched when you first saw me, right?"

Hayes winked.

Some memories hit Zoella's head. The memories she wanted to forget because she couldn't deny Hayes's words. She was indeed bewitched at his face back then.

"I didn't. I was just surprised by your red eyes."

It's not completely a lie since she also freaked out that Hayes's eyes were red.

Hayes smirked and stopped teasing his disciple. They arrived in a room at the central building.

"Let's go in. Old man, she's here."

He shouted as he opened the door. Zoella hesitated but slowly entered the room.

There, she saw the man who was giving the speech this morning.

The principal, Edwin Owens.

He greeted Zoella with a warm smile.

"Welcome. I've been wanting to meet you, child."