What It Seems (MGK)

I heard the other people singing on stage while I was getting ready. Tonight was the Shaker Heights High School talent show. I've done this every year, and yet I was still nervous. I was a senior this year, so this is my last one. 

"I still don't know why you're nervous. You do amazing every year. This year shouldn't be any different." my best friend, Mckenzie said.

"Easy for you to say. You don't have to go out there and perform in front of the whole school."

"Who said you had to?" she asked me, making a point. "But, now I am. You're gonna be amazing. I'm surprised you haven't gotten anywhere yet with that voice of yours."

Honestly, I didn't think I was that good. But everyone tells me differently. I won first place all the years I've done the talent show, but that doesn't make me think any different.

"My dad wouldn't allow it anyways. He hates the fact that I sing at these things."

"Well, you're all done! Look in the mirror!" She said, excited. She was amazing at doing make-up and hair. She sang too, but not like I did.

"Skylar, you're up in 5." the principal said.

Kenzie went to make sure we had the right song. I was singing Rihanna's Stay. Those 5 minutes suddenly felt like 5 seconds, I was already being called to go on stage. As soon as I walked out, everyone started cheering. I laughed and waved to everyone. I stood where the microphone was and waited for the music. 

"Not really sure how to feel about it
Something in the way you move
Makes me feel like I can't live without you
It takes me all the way
I want you to stay
It's not much of a life you're living
It's not just something  you take - it's given."

When I was finally done, I walked off stage to find just Kenzie and my mom waiting backstage for me.

"You were even better than last year!" Kenzie screamed. I raised my eyebrows, her already knowing what I was questioning.

"Your father didn't come. He said he wouldn't watch you wasting your time. You know how he is." she answered my unspoken question.

"I know." I said, walking back to where my stuff was. "I just want him to hear me out for once. Is it so hard for him to just do that?"

"Yeah. It honestly is. He isn't very open-minded. You know that from experience." she laughed.

"Definitely. Now, how many people are left?" I asked Kenzie.

"You were the last one. We have to wait for the judges. Then...well you know how it goes." 

Just then, we were all called back out on stage. The principal looked more happy than he did at the past couple of talent shows, so there was something going on.

"As you all know, we have a very talented kid graduate from this school. He has made it pretty big, but tonight, he was in Cleveland, and decided to come help us announce the winners this year. He's excited to hear and see all you talented kids tonight..." I kinda zoned out, looking into the audience. I saw some weirdly familiar faces. I know I had seen them somewhere before...

"Everyone, please help welcome home, Machine Gun Kelly!" the principal said. I looked up immediately. The whole gym got up out of their seats to run to the stage. I realized now who the familiar faces were; Slim, Dubo, and Ashleigh. Everyone was screaming, but I was speechless.