66.Badhai Do

Language: Hindi

Language: Hindi

India has been doing really well in queer cinema nowadays comparatively to a few years back and I am really proud of her for that reason. That is also the reason I am going to review this as a usual film instead of praising it just because of it's queer representation and famous stars.

First of all this movie is without a doubt hilarious and has superb acting. It shows the dynamics within a middle-class Indian joint family perfectly and has some pretty goods songs you can sing to or dance to on repeat. The film is based on the concept of lavender marriage which is a marriage between a gay man and a lesbian.

The chemistry between the female leads is pretty great and even when they fight they make up quickly due to the magic of ✨communication✨. Although I do wish they had a meet cute in a better place than a clinic used for testing piss and poop.

Now despite all that there were a few things in which I was disappointed in. Shardul our other main lead is a gay but is pretty sexist AND abusive, the film acknowledges that but doesn't do anything about that. Also I sensed an underlying biphobic vibes which is definitely not appreciated. Also there's was a strange scene with our main leads who are lesbian and gay trying to kiss for a moment which was very uncomfortable and awkward.

This film does have a happy ending and was definitety enjoyable if I ignored the aforementioned things.