81. Our Ladies

This film reminds me of Derry Girls, just a bunch of catholic teenage girls having fun and enjoying youth, and god do I love that accent

This film reminds me of Derry Girls, just a bunch of catholic teenage girls having fun and enjoying youth, and god do I love that accent. Now like every film this has its pros and cons and this one is not bereft of that.

The major con was that they tried to make this film about female sexuality but honestly, it just felt like a bunch of men came together to put all their Catholic schoolgirl fantasies together, the girls were so unnecessarily hypersexualized. Sometimes you just know that a movie was made by a male director and written by a bunch of male writers and this one was self-explanatory with it.

But on the other hand, I actually liked the lesbian storyline, it was much better than the other girls. In the beginning, it did feel the sapphic storyline was getting sidelined but worry not we get a proper feast at the end, and due to that now all I want is somebody to seduce me by playing cello naked.

I did feel that they tried to make the ending unnecessarily tragic, all the girls could have easily gotten a happy ending but they needlessly had to bring back Orla's sickness. Honestly, I could pay to watch a sequel focused on Kay and Finnoula directed and written preferably by a queer woman this time.