80.Blue Jean

I love when I watch films that have not gained popularity but turn out to be one of the greatest pieces of Cinema I have ever watched, it's like having your own personal gem that you can brag to people about

I love when I watch films that have not gained popularity but turn out to be one of the greatest pieces of Cinema I have ever watched, it's like having your own personal gem that you can brag to people about. Blue Jean is definitely one of those films, it is so intensely beautiful, heartfelt, tragic yet hopeful, and one of the best films I watched this year.

The story takes place in the late 1980s about a closeted teacher in the infamous Thatcher Era whose sexuality might be in danger of getting exposed due to the presence of a queer student. Throughout the movie, all I wanted to do was give Jean and all the other queers a hug for having lived such a painful time. But what I loved about this film was despite living in such a bad time, it doesn't neglect to show the queer joy, that even in times of darkness there is light and hope.

I admit that I was disappointed when Jean did not stand up for Lois but I was not angry, because I could sympathize with her situation, I didn't blame her for looking out for her own safety but I did pity her. I loved how the difference showed in her relationship with Viv who lived loudly and proudly, in contrast, both were queer in their right but the difference didn't allow their relationship to last.

The movie doesn't have a good or bad ending, but for me, it was definitely very hopeful. Also, I am usually attracted to femmes but there was something about Jean's soft butch look that was just so insanely attractive to me that I couldn't help but develop a crush. So this is definitely a must-watch you DON'T want to miss out on.