What could Beomgyu's smile look like?

Now that his goal of being Beomgyu's friend is already checked out of his list, Taehyun's on a mission to take it to the next step. A new goal he has yet to figure out.

The group hang-outs frequented; every one of them seemingly knowing each other for years from how natural they are. It's easy, fun — they never run out of things to talk about. It ranges from movies they watch in theaters, to teasing spoilers about a new series on netflix, rowdy conversations in barbeque restaurants, to drunken nights in karaoke rooms.

Suddenly, five corners of the star made its way back home. A bond that grew stronger each night that passed by.

They'd be Kai's references for his portraits, posing obnoxiously until he couldn't concentrate on his drawings from how ridiculous they looked. They'd cheer for Yeonjun during photoshoots, until he gets embarrassed and kicked them out of the studio. They'd bring food for the overworking Soobin in the student council office, until he got too bored that he decided to drop his duties and procrastinate them the next day.

As with Taehyun, well, they crashed into one of his private practices with pizza and chicken in hand. The smell distracting him from his movements, and then he's stealing a huge bite from Kai's pineapple pizza; the practice session long forgotten.

Beomgyu wasn't an exception to their relentless banter and sudden club intrusions. Oftentimes, when the racer is out studying, the four of them will be exaggeratedly loud to make him lose his focus. And while Beomgyu is usually a very patient person, he has his limits too; and before they know it, they're being chased down the hall, running for their lives because of course, he's also quick on his feet.

But in between those fleeting moments of newfound friendships, there's a realization that had Taehyun tumbling head over heels, dizzying and heart-fluttering. Like he's swam up the surface of water under a new wave of light.

That under Beomgyu's blunt and unbothered persona, is a caring and sweet boy who notices all those small insignificant details, pays attention to everything they're saying despite his eyes never leaving his books, quietly supporting them from the back.

How he helped Kai clean up because he couldn't make progress with the rest fooling around, how he went back and handed Yeonjun a bottle of sparkling water since he's been working hard, and how he assisted Soobin in organizing his piled work.

It was so reassuring.

His next mission came about around the start of the week. When they were loitering around the field benches watching a practice game of soccer. Hidden under an umbrella's shade, with snacks courtesy of Yeonjun sprawled on the table.

Taehyun has something he had always wondered about: What could Beomgyu's smile look like? Until he saw it.

Even if Beomgyu's face varies from a perfect poker to a little fond, with the occasional smug Taehyun refuses to recall, Beomgyu actually has a smile that rivals the sun, a smile that's worth a million dollars.

Beautiful. It was so beautiful.

Eyes that crinkle into crescents, lips upturned in a perfect bow, teeth full on display, cheek whiskers visible, and with a laughter that sounded like a choir of angels. Beomgyu threw his head back at one of Soobin's top-notch jokes, laughing his heart out it brought him to tears, and Taehyun finds himself staring at him once more. As if watching the brightest star shine through the night.

His new goal? To make Beomgyu smile like that himself.

It wasn't hard as he originally thought it would be, but the situation wasn't one he had planned to happen. In fact, it was far from the ideal scenario he had conjured in his daydream-filled head.