I'll take you home

Another quiet afternoon in the library had Taehyun almost dozing off, having finished most of his assignments rather forcibly — that even those due in a month's time is sitting neatly piled on the table in front of him, waiting to be submitted. He usually doesn't do these stuff this diligently, opting to give more of his attention on perfecting dance and acting; like what Yeonjun had branded him on being a practice bug who doesn't leave their department.

But right now, here he was. With an empty cup of coffee and a desk full of completed papers, tired and yet, inspired to do his best.

The reason? Well, it's sitting across from him.

Beomgyu is still studying, round glasses on his nose and pen scribbling on his notebooks. From the moment Taehyun joined him approximately 2 hours ago, he was already glued on that chair, occasionally excusing himself to get another book, before proceeding to read.

Taehyun finds it attractive. He loves a hardworking man. And then he's doing the same thing as an excuse to stay, silently daydreaming this as a study date, albeit one-sided.

Well, it wasn't supposed to be that way in the first place. The group had made it a habit to visit the library and fetch a studying Beomgyu, because said boy hadn't joined any club organizations and is therefore free most of the time. Sometimes joining him before they decide on a place to hang-out; it was always the five of them.

Until today, when the three ditched the two of them so suddenly.

Oh, Taehyun just knows this is Kai's plan.

"I'll return the books." He says, earning a nod from Beomgyu before standing up and stretching, carrying the books to the Arts section of the library. Partly because he doesn't have anything to do, mostly because he feels close to exploding being alone with his crush for so long.

He's somewhat surprised when he took a look outside the window and finds the somber shade of nightfall, indicating that it was too long they've been here together. Which could also mean that it's peak rush hours and the traffic is worse on this side of the busy city. Fuck, he forgot all about it.

"Hey Taehyunnie! What's up?" Kai says on the other line of the call. Taehyun notices the extra giddiness in his tone and he squints suspiciously, leaning on the bookshelves.

Then he hears another voice and he connected the dots. "So this is why you didn't come to the library! You ditched me for a date!"

Kai sputtered out nonsense, defensive. "No, I didn't! It's not a date! And FYI, I did went to the library."

"Uh-huh . . ." Taehyun deadpans.

"I really did! I've never seen you that serious in school works, you know?" Ah, there's the teasing edge again. Taehyun wonders what he did in his previous life to be punished to have this kind of best friend. "And I didn't want to butt in your study date. You two were so focused it was kind of cute."

Taehyun tries fighting off the flush on his cheeks, but to no avail. "Shut up! I told you before to stop pushing us together because Beomgyu didn't like it! All of us were supposed to meet but you three—"

"Chill! To be fair, Yeonjun said he wouldn't come because he was pulled by your director. Soobin needed to finish his drawings so he went home early, and he called me because he needs help and Beomgyu wasn't picking up his calls." Kai explains.

Well, Taehyun can buy that alibi. He never saw Beomgyu check his phone even once throughout all that time in this place. The kind of guy that didn't like being interrupted with his studying. And Taehyun was too busy ogling doing the same thing to check his.

"Ugh fine. Guess I'll have to go home by myself." He grumbles, dreading the thought of a longer travel time.

Even through the phone, he hears the big stupid grin Kai is probably wearing as he says, "Why don't you ask Beomgyu to take you? You've been dreaming of it since the first day anyway."