Inspector

Grace was fortunate enough to stick the landing just right

Grace was fortunate enough to stick the landing just right. As soon as her feet touched the ground she rolled. The smoke was the biggest problem. It had coated her lungs making her cough violently. The DEPRAC sirens echoed in the distance as the yellow vans showed up at the scene. The house was completely devoured by the flames.

"Grace!" The girl pushed herself up stumbling a bit. The smoke was thick and created a fog-like screen.

"Lockwood!" She coughed out looking around. She couldn't see him or Lucy anywhere. They made it out though, that was the one thing she was trying to focus on. She saw the DPREAC agent come out with their gear.

This is a shit show. And where the hell are they? I heard Lockwood before.

"Lockwood!" Grace yelled once more stumbling back towards the house.

"Grace!" Lockwood saw the girl moving close to the flames. She paused turning to see him coming towards her. The two took in each other's appearances. No injuries. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Grace coughed looking back at the house. "Have you seen Lucy?" She asked. Lockwood just shook his head, his eyes kept coming back to Grace's face. She had soot and ash all over her. It made her blonde hair a darker blonde, close to brown.

"We're DEPRAC! Is anyone else here!?" One of the agents called out grabbing onto Grace's arm. She shook off his grip stepping back. Lockwood stepped to her side looking around at all the agents. This was their rescue.

"Lockwood! Grace!" Lucy screamed. The pair couldn't see her anywhere though. They could barely hear her screams over the crackling of the burning building.

"Come with us, we are only trying to help," Another agent said motioning for us to move away from the house. Grace looked up to Lockwood who nodded as they moved forward.

"We need to check you both out," Another one said pulling the two apart. "Bring you to a hospital."

"I will meet you at home," Lockwood nodded. Grace gave him a small smile as she cracked her knuckles. She was already on edge from her new team almost dying and now she had to worry about running into Barnes. She has avoided going to see him at Fittes since she joined Lockwood's agency. They took her away in the evac van. She was fine though. Her lungs weren't that full of smoke and her landing was less brutal than the others.

***

Grace was now sitting in an interrogation room. She has been in several of these before so nothing has changed for her. Barnes will come in and ask her a bunch of questions about what happened. What went wrong? How did she manage to get out? It was like a routine for them.

Not even five minutes later the door opened. She didn't know how long she had been sitting there, but she was ready for some sleep.

"Grace, why do we always have to meet like this," Barnes sighed coming into the room Wade stood by the door.