You're Awake

Grace was awoken by someone throwing a pillow at her

Grace was awoken by someone throwing a pillow at her. She sighed and sat up. George was smiling a few feet away.

"What do you want?" She complained as she fell back into bed.

"We wanted you to know we are going wraith hunting," George added. She shot up rubbing her eyes.

"Wait what?" She yawned. "Why didn't I know about this yesterday?"

"Dunno," George added going back downstairs. Grace followed after him and made her way into the kitchen seeing it was eleven at night. She has only been sleeping for three hours. She put two pieces of bread in the toaster.

"Did he wake you up?" Lockwood added. He didn't want her to actually get up, it was just supposed to be a quick heads up and then they would leave.

"Pillow to the face," Grace sighed pointing at her head. Lockwood chuckled sliding his hands in his pockets.

"Sorry, he was just supposed to tell, not wake you up completely," He explained. Grace tucked her hair behind her ears.

"No, it's fine." She smiled. "Do you want me to come with you?" She asked. Lockwood shook his head.

"No, no, I was going to let you sleep." He insisted. George came into the kitchen moving down toward the basement stairs without saying a word. "You can go back to sleep." Grace shook her head.

"I won't sleep much now," She laughed. Grace moved the kettle back onto the stove turning it on. She was going to need tea. George came back up from the basement with chains in his hand. The toaster popped.

"I'm bringing these," George added as he held out the chains. He moved over grabbed a piece of toast and took a bite out of it.

"That was my breakfast," Grace whined.

"That's why there's two," George smiled as he left the kitchen. He set the chains in the entry hall.

"Maybe I should come with you guys?" She meant to say it as a statement, but instead, it was a question. She didn't want them to go alone, but she didn't want to leave Lucy. She began picking at her cuticles. Lockwood could see that she was having trouble deciding.

"You don't need to. We can handle it," Lockwood assured her. Grace moved to where she could see the kit bags. They were packed and ready to go.

"Okay," She muttered rubbing the back of her neck. The anxiety was eating Grace alive and it was obvious. She was too tired to try and act less concerned. That took a lot of energy she didn't have.

"Grace," Lockwood muttered. He reached forward letting his hands rest on her collarbone, as his thumbs lightly brushed her jaw. "We'll be fine," Lockwood nodded. Grace nodded a little.

The conversation was over, but Lockwood didn't step back. Not yet. His gaze moved from her eyes down to her lips. Grace almost let herself lean into his touch. Almost. She just realized how close the two of them actually were.