Graveyard

"I'm Sebastian Saunders, and this is my partner, Pamela Joplin," Mr

"I'm Sebastian Saunders, and this is my partner, Pamela Joplin," Mr. Saunders introduced. Grace sat down on the couch.

"Business partner. We're sweet dreams excavations. Maybe you've heard of us?" Ms. Joplin explained giving an awkward smile.

"You're gravediggers?" Lockwood asked them. Grace looked at the chair next to her staring at him.

"We prefer excavation and clearance," Mr Saunders said handing Lockwood a hand. "I'm sure you'll have seen the headlines, Mr. Lockwood." Lockwood handed the card to Grace who just passed it to Lucy. Grace didn't care what it said. "After all the avoidable deaths, DEPRAC now require councils to assess their cemeteries for risky plots. We're currently engaged in a major operation in Kensal Green Cemetary."

"But that's huge," George stuttered.

"Thank you," Mr. Saunders smiled. "Pam usually susses out the dodgy ones long before they present any serious danger. We dig for bones. She digs for stories." Lockwood let out a sigh pressing his fingers to his forehead.

"I use burial records to look for traumatic causes of death likely to tip the odds for visitation. Suicides, murders, traumatic deaths. You never know when a spirit might activate." Lucy crossed her legs looking at the bottom of her foot. Tacks were stuck into the sole of her Converse. She furrowed her brow picking at one.

"You're a researcher? Did you know Fittes has its own database?" George insisted. He was the only one paying any attention right now. Grace moved Lucy's hand from the tack shaking her head a little.

"It's not very good. Broad in scope, but there's no depth. Give me a stack of books any day," Ms. Joplin smiled.

"I couldn't agree more," George leaned forward. Grace was glad George found someone with a similar interest.

"Mr. Saunders, Ms. Joplin, thank you very much for taking the trouble. But we're mansion specialists. We don't do odd jobs for the council," Lockwood clarified. He went to get up, but Mr. Saunders started talking again.

God, I'm so tired.

"Are you sure? We heard you'd be grateful. Oh sorry, uh, amendable to this work," The old man chuckled.

"Well, you heard wrong. Our team is full of very skilled agents, for example, our listener is the best in the country, and-"

"I'm good." Lucy interrupted. Grace stared at her for a moment. She has been on edge ever since she woke up. "We're good. Just a normal agency."

"Who needs a job," Grace muttered as she sat farther back on the couch.

"Kensel Green is London's most prestigious cemetery, owned and run by the Bickerstaff family-," Joplin explained.

"Until one of them was caught digging up corpses," Mr Saunders cut her off. He seemed to do that often. "The scandal that brought the word necrophilia into common usage." Grace widened her eyes trying to keep her face relaxed.