Chapter 26

Paige Pov:

"YOU READY YET?" I yelled to Nika who was in her room still getting dressed for our game.

"JUST WAIT ONE SECOND, AND STOP RUSHING ME," Nika shouted back.

I groaned as I sat back on the couch once again. I run my hand through my ponytail as I grab my phone and text, Elli.

My World

Hi bubs

Hi love

Are you heading to Gampel yet?

Yeah, I'm on my way

Are you?

I would be if Nika wouldn't be 

taking so long to get dressed

oh she always takes long to get ready lol

Ig I'll see you later then? I have to 

go set up everything

Ofc, love you

Love you too

"NIKA ARE YOU DONE YET?" I yelled standing up from the couch and grabbing my bag.

"Yeah I am, stop rushing me to get ready just because you want to go see the love of your life," Nika said rolling her eyes playfully and grabbing her own bag.

"Nika it's 2:13. We're supposed to be at Gampel at 2:30," I reason with her. The game was at 4:15 and we were supposed to get to Gampel early to get shots up and to go over our game plans.

"Oh shoot you right!?" she says before scrambling out the door.

I laugh loudly before closing the door behind me and running to catch up with Nika.

-

Swish

"Nice shot P," Christyn says to me, passing me back the ball.

"Thanks," i' respond shooting another and making it again.

After shooting a few more, me and Christyn swap places in so she can shoot and warm up. I was catching her rebounds when I saw Elli on the 2 floor of the Pavillion with Tyler, Jayden and Issy sitting on the floor. Jayden and Issy were cuddled up together on the floor making me raise my eyebrow as I passed the ball to Christyn again.

Issy seemed to be laughing and giggling while Jayden and, Tyler were staring at them with a nonchalant look. Tyler then walked away and Elli frowned, said something to Jayden and Issy and followed behind her best friend.

"Trouble is what the four of them are," Evina says, appearing out of nowhere nearly scaring me.

"E! Stop doing that, you're going to give me a heart attack!" I say smacking her on the shoulder.

"Is something wrong with Tyler?" Nika asked, slightly frowning.

"Who knows, he hides his feelings, the only one who can get him to break is Elli. At this point I think Elli can do that with everyone," E says shrugging.

"Yeah she can," I reply

After warming up it was finally time to start getting ready for the game. The game was sold out for the first time this season, it made me a little nervous knowing there was going to be so many people coming to watch us play. But I got a text from Elli reminding me that I would do great and just to play and be myself.

Once we made our entrance into the main building the crowd went wild. I see Elli and wink at her making her smile and roll her eyes. Tyler was next to her and he had his own camera in his hand and was messing around with the buttons which made me laugh.

Nika waved at him and he waved back making Nika blush and duck her head down. I made a mental note to tease her about it after the game.

-

"And now for our starting line up for the HUSKIESSSSS," The announcer announced in the megaphone. "A 6'5 junior who has dominated so far this season, number 20 Olivia Nelson-Odada! A 6'0 junior guard from Arkansas number 13 Christyn Williams! A 5'11 freshman guard from Croatia, number 10 Nika Muhl! A 6'3 freshman post player who has proved so much, number 3 Aaliyah Edwards! And finally a freshman guard all the way from Hopkins Minnesota, Paige Bueckers!" 

The crowd cheered very loudly. The building was flooding with applause and cheers, but I just looked at one person and that person was Elli. She was cheering and clapping for all of us, she looked very pretty wearing black ripped jeans with her baggy white Uconn hoodie and her white air forces. Her hair was down and it was curled. As I was looking at her she snapped a photo with her camera catching me off guard.

She waved innocently as a blushed.

Before i knew it, it was tip-off and the game had started. Liv tipped me the ball and immediately  called out for a play for the team to run, walking up the ball past half court. I noticed no one was really guarding me, and I had enough space to shoot. So that's what I did, I shot the ball a little behind the three point line and made it.

I was turning around to go back on defense as the crowed roared with cheers. I winked at Elli making her blush as I went to go play some defense.

By the time the game was over I was in the bench cheering for my teammates because we were currently blowing out the other team. Liv had just made a three making me jump up from my chair in joy. The game was really fun, not just because we were winning but it was partially the atmosphere we were in because of our fans.

We shook hands with the other team and I had to go to a meeting with Nika for a post game press conference about the win today. As I was walking out of the room Elli was at the tunnel. I picked her up from behind and threw her over my shoulder.

"Paige ew, your sweaty," She whined

I put her down and pecked her lips, "No i'm not, I barely sweat," I respond 

"Whatever you say love," She pats my jersey smiling, and pecking my lips. "You played great, I told you, you didn't have to be nervous," She says 

"Yeah I know," I respond, "Was I the only one who saw what happened between Nika and Tyler, or..." I trail off

"Oh my god! I saw that too! We needs to get them together because Ty is just starting to get over his feelings about Issy since her and Jayden are together now!" She responds excitedly.

"Yeah you need to fill me in on that," I say raising my eyebrow

"Of course," She smiles 

"I'd hate to cut this short but Paige we should get going to the conference," Nika says gesturing to the hallway of the room where it's being held

"I'll see you later," I say kissing Ellis cheek,

"See you," She says smiling

As me and Nika were walking to the hallway I nudge her teasingly, "So what's going on between you and Tyler?" 

"Oh my god," She says flustered