Chapter 66:That day

~*Kyojuro's POV*~
     Storms roll across the sky from the doorway of the dining room, pulling me into every curl that the clouds create. I'm mesmerized, absentmindedly eating while everyone else enjoys their food. I didn't think I'd be so lost to myself after what I digested, I'm surprised I'm not already full. What could I possibly do? That was the wave that created the Tsunami, the same water I've been wading through all this time with no light. It's a miracle I made it to this point without a single hint, just now able to see.

     So many were there that day, and I escaped word of it altogether.

     Don't think I didn't question the circumstances of her coronation, why those five men were so silent. She was covered in bandaging and looked like she wanted no part with us Pillars... She had to be walked into her own ceremony with the Stone Pillar to accompany. Tengen said she almost didn't attend at all. How could I not ask after hearing something like that?

    I looked away from my bowl of food to the greying sky, rain already plopping down onto the patio. Each and every drop throws me back to the day we truly met. It was raining, after all. It set just the right mood for her... or maybe it was her that set the mood, or the tears... Or it was just destined to be miserable.

     When you lose everything in a matter of hours, how could you possibly bear the sun?

.

.

.

~^~

     "Do you think We'll be able to get along with (y,n) very well? She didn't look the happiest to be inducted into our ranks." Rain pours all down the outside of these walls, a whole ocean's worth. It's the loudest thing around, louder than any of us Hashira. I don't ever remember everything so quiet, especially Tengen . I can understand Iguro and Giyuu, but him and Sanemi... they seemed so on edge.

    Shinobu told me not to ask... and so I haven't- doesn't mean it hasn't come off as odd.

     "She's always seemed somewhat held back from us, but... I don't think I've ever quite seen her like that."

     "There's no saying, Kyo'. Quite frankly, I'm surprised she even came today. She still would've been honored, but I wouldn't have put it against her if she didn't show." The Sound Pillar responded quietly, as if we're on close watch... I definitely missed something. I go off on a mission for a few days and this is what I come back to? I'm not getting anything, either. The others know something I don’t.

    "I would've suggested we do this weeks later, but she might've made a run for it, otherwise. Such an unflamboyant mess." He chuckled, dejected and dry. There it is again, there's that little itch that I can't reach. How am I supposed to act like nothing happened when everything is blowing up around me? This is torture.

     "Tengen, what happened while I was gone?" My friend winced at my question. I don't care if I was encouraged to sweep it under the rug, I'll take what I can get by now. Who better than a man that shares almost everything with me-

     "It's best you don't know, leave it be." ... I was right about the almost part.

     He avoided my gaze when going to open the door to the patio in front of us, shaking his head at my disappointment. Leave it be, so it's basically guaranteed that I won't be hearing anything from our newcomer, either. Why would I, with the air around her earlier? Those aren't welcoming waters.

     "-Shit! I wasn't paying attention..." I stepped back a pace with Tengen as he silently cursed under his breath, directing us both away from the cracked shoji screen. He stretched his neck to get a closer glance, frowning the longer he looks outside and I'm kept clueless.