Chapter 67:Heartbeat

~*Kyojuro's POV*~
     "There've been massive storm surges to the South following in almost a pattern, and I fear I know exactly why it's happening." This morning, the way I left wasn't satisfying. No, it was exhilarating. My heart was dancing from the moment I departed, and it still is. My hand is still tapping to the beat of it, resisting the urge to let the rest of my body jive.

     "The towns that we learned are having interactions with Muzan, they're having their deals thrown back at them." I woke up to shock, but once I looked at everything, I equally felt awful for having to go, to practically abandon her. ... That might've been the first time I've ever hesitated to go on a mission. If I'd had the option to lay my things back down and return to my position, I would've done so.

      "Luckily, we've gotten on board with most of the town leader's to evacuate before these freak storms hit, but we still have other adamant to claim they were never involved with the enemy." She didn't wake during my stir, not even towards the end, when my voice was so still.

      "For those who aren't cooperating, it's imperative that we reach them before Muzan's do, or hundreds of lives will be lost." I didn't think she would actually... do that, let alone stay there with me. I intended on sleeping in the guest room after I visited, but it seems my slip-up brought me much more of a reward.

     "The lives of innocents are on the line, my child. This is just the job for you." So much more...

     I stretched out among the futon with little to say in the quiet air when finding myself awake, the storm long gone from last night and letting the birds take up their morning song. I slept better than I sure thought I would,' didn't wake one single bit. I do feel a little bad, now that I'm somewhat awake- I forgot to leave before falling asleep... but at least the word didn't take my feet out underneath me for my mistake. I'm sure (y,n) just went to another room.

     I released a low sigh when scratching my ches-...

     I spoke too soon.

     My heart immediately began pounding against my ribs when putting my palm over the one on my chest, breath stuttering at those cold digits while my own fell into their trap. I know the feeling far too well... I can barely move my other arm. Why? Because she's laying on it, coddled next to me without a care in the world.

     (y,n)'s comfortable, unmoving... meaning that... she slept here the whole night, just like this, and I didn't even notice she'd come up to me. We've never been so... close, not like this, body pressed up against my own with so much intimacy. I can feel her every breath and how it continues to steal away my own, blowing against me while I subconsciously count each heartbeat I can feel through her bosom.

     I subtly lifted my gaze towards the patio door to see a shadow fly down to the floorboards, flapping its wings once it landed. "Rengoku, you have been called to master Ubuyashiki's!" ...

      Just like that? I have to leave now? I haven't even processed everything, and it still comes to pull me away. Can I not breathe for just a little longer and have her weight to it, when I've
barely started to get accommodated? I want to stay here longer... and I don't understand why. It's like my body is begging me not to move, to enjoy this breeze in the summertime. It feels good, refreshing...

     ... I eased the Hashira's body off of my own to sit up, placing her back into the bed with care and attention. I'm frowning, frowning as I gaze upon her in the soft light to see her peace... Everything was right where I left it, and yet, it still changed. My heart aches at all that I missed, and what I now have to leave behind.