THIRTY FIVE

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚 :
RULE BREAKER

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     IT WAS DARK, but not cold in the basement of the gas station. It was humid.

     Her throat was raw from screaming so much. But she had been ignored. Bo came daily to give her food, but he blasted music over her shouting. Bo had made a rule that none of them could speak to her unless he said so, and he abided by it. But his brothers didn't.

It was Vincent who broke his rule first.

"Why?" Was the quiet word that came from his lips when he entered the basement, in his hand a small snack. But it was glued to his dropped hand. He wouldn't give the food easily.

"I miss them, Vincent." She sniffled, sitting up in her seat, "I miss my friends." She didn't have much family, none that would speak to her anyway. As far as she knew, her family didn't care if she was dead in a ditch somewhere.

"We're here," Vincent said, his voice sounding like a whimper.

"It's not the same." She breathed, her eyes looking up at the grate, desperate for outside light. To feel the sun on her skin.

"...Why?"

(F/N) sighed, never having expected that she would have to explain to her kidnapper why kidnapping was bad. What grade-A parents you had.

"Vincent, I didn't want to be kidnapped. You know that right?" She blinked at him.

Vincent blinked at her for a moment before he slowly shrugged.

"I don't like being stuck in Ambrose. Don't take me wrong. You guys are lovely. If I had the choice to stay, I might've." She wouldn't have stayed, but maybe visited. "But you guys took that away from me. I don't get a choice."

"...Stay?" Vincent's voice was meek.

She didn't say anything, only stared blankly at him. You didn't listen at all.

Vincent stared back for a few moments, before he abruptly turned around, leaving with his snack in hand. She was left hungry, and alone.

The next day, her next visitor showed up. It wasn't Bo, but another brother breaking his rule.

"Bo told me what ya did." Those were the words Lester started with as he walked into the basement, a bigger snack in his hands.

"Fun." (F/N) piped sarcastically.

"I figured you haven't eaten." Lester got closer to the bound girl, opening the wrapper of the small bar, "Bo ain't the best at takin' care of things. I suppose that's why he ain't never had a pet of his own."

"What about Rosie?" (F/N) asked before she was offered the bar. Lester was holding it though, "Can I use my hands?"

"I would let you, but Bo would know I changed the tape...Please jus' eat." He frowned, bringing the bar closer to her shut lips, "I'm not supposed to be down here. I'll get in trouble if I'm too long."