THE KING OF ANGA-17

~Author pov~

The duel between Duryodhan and Bheem began.
Bhima towered over Duryodhan by a foot. He was all bulk and muscle and the mace looked like a stick in his huge hands. He was taunting Duryodhan and trying to make him angry. The Brahmins who supported the Pandavas were cheering for him.
The majority of the common people were clueless about who they should support. The disparity between the competitors stumped them.

The first blow from Bheema came as a surprise. Death danced in Bheema's mace. The big Pandava attacked Duryodhan like a mad elephant and cheering got louder. Everyone was quite sure that he would fall. Duryodhan felt like the whole world was willing his defeat. Bhima kept attacking with murderous intent. One of the elders interfered to stop it.

I will prove that I am better than Bheema. I will prove that I am the rightful heir to Hastinapur.

Duryodhan refused to give up, with grit and determination he fought back. Imperceptibly, the tide began shifting against the Pandava. Duryodhan's blows started getting deadlier.
Defying the wishes of the holy men he fought against Bheema. The Brahmins who had branded Duryodhan as an evil incarnate could not digest this.
The cheering of the Brahmins and nobility died down but the common people's cheering for their crown prince Duryodhan became deafening.

Kunti's accusing eyes bore into Drona who was watching the scene in horror.

The guru hesitated, then he stood up and walked towards the ring, he knew that there was no point in stopping Duryodhan, he wouldn't listen to anyone.
"Bheema, throw away your mace!"

The command dawned on Bheema, he flung away his mace and stood unarmed in front of his opponent. Duryodhan's mace stopped a few inches in front of Bheema's skull. Drona had assessed Duryodhan's character correctly; he would never attack an unarmed person.

"DISGUSTING" A voice pierced the air. It was none other than Kripacharya. There were protests from the Brahmins stand and many shouted to the king and Mahamahim to catch the uncouth Brahmin and teach him a lesson for his impudence. Kripa mockingly laughed at the priests and went to sit beside Ashwathama. Drona got jealous seeing how close Kripa was with Ashwathama than he ever was.

Since the duel with Bheem was derailed, it was now Arjun's turn.

Arjun stepped forward, took the blessings of Drona to which Drona embraced him. Ashwathama was burning inside.

The duel began, Duryodhan who was irritated of being held back in the duel with Bheem, didn't think of anything and charged blindly towards Arjun like a bull. Arjun took advantage of this stupidity; he fired arrows constantly at Duryodhan who deflected it with his mace.
Arjun then fired the Shishira astr, which caused Duryodhan's leg to freeze, preventing him from moving.
The Pandavas and Drona were delighted. Duryodhan was seething with anger.

The whole crowd hailed Arjun.

"What is happening, Sanjay" Dhritarashtra asked.

"Prince Arjun has bound Prince Duryodhan with ice"

Arjun aimed again, this time causing the mace in Duryodhan's hands to fall.
Duryodhan screamed in anger as he was fully covered with ice.

Drona stood up and began praising Arjun, while Duryodhan was clenching his fists in pain.The whole crowd acknowledged Drona as the greatest teacher and Arjun as the best archer.
"Arjun, release him from this bond"

All of a sudden, an arrow came, piercing through Arjun's, freeing Duryodhan.The entire stadium was confused, Drona was baffled.Everyone looked in the direction from which the arrow came.

The intruder was wearing a red cloth, preventing others from seeing his face, his almond shaped eyes were captivating, they had life in them, he has symbol of Surya on his forehead, his arms were adorned with silver amulets, he had a majestic bow with him, he physique was ripped, he wore the clothes of a simple man.