Chapter 26: Tipsy

|<Hyunjin...?>|

I totally freeze, my heart stopping

I totally freeze, my heart stopping. I suddenly feel like throwing out.

Hyunjin turns around to the origin of the female voice. As they make eye contact, they stay silent.

I'm totally zoned out, I can't focus on anything.

They stare at each other for what feels like an eternity. Jeongin keeps greeting everyone but doesn't notice the situation of his friend.

I just stay beside him, hearing only the pounding of my heart.

<Seo...Jin...> Hyunjin mutters, in a soft and quiet voice. His eyes are gentle and his eyebrows slightly raised.

I see Hyunjin clenching his punches and he doesn't break the stare with her.

I don't think she even noticed me.

Driven by anger and jealousy, I slip my hand in Hyunjin's. Doing so, I catch the attention on both of them.

Hyunjin looks at me, almost scared. Why? Why does he look at me like if he is sorry for something?

Seojin looks down at our connected hands and then locks her eyes on him again.

<Hyunjin... can we talk?> Seojin quietly says, her face is still surprised.

Hyunjin looks at her again and stays silent. I nervously gulp.

We stay silent for quite a long time, we hear the music from inside the house but I'm not focused on it.

I tighten my hand around Hyunjin's, I feel left out from their continuous eye contact.

I feel alone. Useless and unwanted.

Hyunjin then looks at me, his eyes are lucid and his lips are slightly trembling. He looks as if he is about to cry.

From that look he gave me, I understood everything. I immediately look down, feeling extremely defeated. I smile through the pain.

I then slowly lift my head to him again and I try to maintain the smile. But tears fall down my cheek.

<Go.> I whisper and more tears slide down.

Hyunjin also starts to tear and uses his free hand to wipe them away.
He slowly shakes his head.

<Hyunjin. Just do it.> I insist, biting my bottom lip to not let out crying noises.

I'm fine. After all, I was kind of expecting it. But I still had a minimum of hope.

I realised just now that maybe I liked Hyunjin. But I arrived too late.

I don't completely blame him because you can't win over your heart. I would feel too bad if I had to make him contain his feelings.

Maybe that's for the better of both.
It was nice till it lasted. I spent precious time with him and I'm grateful for everything he did to me.