Chapter 16

Credit to the talented Serfinee for drawing an amazing sketch of Isaac:)

Various families stood outside the hospital, frustrated expressions on their faces. I spotted a woman, a cellphone pressed to her cheek as she paced back and forth.

"I just need to get home," I overheard her saying as I walked past her.

I followed Isaac into the building, observing my surroundings. A woman sat on her cot, a miserable expression on her face. She muttered a few words under her breath, fiddling a tissue between her fingers.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

She just stared at her feet, avoiding eye-contact with me and not replying. She didn't say anything.

"Do you need help?"

Finally, her eyes met mine. For a moment, she just watched me carefully, her eyes so dull and empty they sent shivers down my spine. "Do you know my child?" she whispered, her hands trembling.

I hesitated. "...What does he or she look like?" I asked.

"He has blond hair and blue eyes," she said. "His name is Max. He's eight years old."

"I'll... I'll let you know if I see him."

"You don't know him?"

"No, I'm sorry."

Then there was a sudden switch in her eyes. "Stay away from me," she whispered, tears threatening to spill over in her eyes.

"Huh?"

"Stay away," she told me, raising her voice.

When I didn't leave immediately, she narrowed her eyes. "Leave!" she screamed.

"Come on, Ava." Isaac said, taking my hand and dragging me away from her.

As we walked away, I looked over my shoulder and saw her bury her face in her hands and let out heavy sobs. I felt my throat tighten and quickly looked away, taking a deep breath. It had been quite a while now since the tsunami, but I still couldn't bear to see everything: the bodies, the injuries, the sorrow. It hurt to see this woman so broken, because I could relate to not knowing where my family was. Everything was incredibly overwhelming, and I don't know how Isaac and I had managed to stay sane for so long.

Suddenly, Isaac paused in front of a picture infested wall. He stared at it, his eyes trailing down the wall. When he didn't say anything, I broke the silence.

"What is it?"

He turned to me and paused.

"We don't have to, but do you want to look?" he asked.

I approached him and took a look at the wall. I observed it, realizing it was yet another collage of those who had passed. One image in particular had caught my attention; the one of a small child with golden curls of hair and bright blue eyes. I glanced back in the direction of the woman, pausing and then shaking the thought out of my head.

I glanced over at Isaac, whose eyes were glued to one spot. When he caught my stare, he turned to me and stared at me for a moment. Then he looked back at the wall, and then back at me one more time. What he said next made my blood freeze.

"Ava, is this him?"

A/N: My attempt at a cliffhanger. NeverCatchMe *evil smirk*

Btw, 1K views?! Thank you guys so much ❤️