Chapter 30

It was early in the morning. The sun was barely up. I sat outside, reading a book I had found in a shelter. It wasn't a novel or anything, just one of those picture books they gave to kids. I flipped the pages, observing the images that were illustrated.

I felt something crawl up against my leg, light and tickling. Instinctively, I looked at it, only to see a large, hairy spider making its way across my skin. Fear bolted through me, and I screamed and stood up, slapping it off. It fell onto the book.

I ran, not even bothering to look where I was going, then bumped into a body and fell over onto the ground. I heard a laugh, recognized it, and frowned.

"It's not funny."

Isaac chuckled, helping me up. "What happened?"

I dusted myself off, feeling my face heat up as I avoided eye-contact with him. "There was a spider," I said, trying to sound confident. My face reddened some more.

He cracked up. I pushed him away.

"Oh come on, you gotta admit that was somewhat funny."

"It wasn't."

"Where was it?" he asked.

"What makes you think I'd tell you?"

"You love me," he smirked.

I rolled my eyes. "What are you gonna do with it?"

"Kill it."

"You sure?"

"Yes. Those things are nasty."

"I don't believe you."

"Then that's your problem."

I sighed and pointed over at the book, lying on the ground. "It was over there," I told him.

He grinned at me and said, "Time to save the day. What do I get in return?"

"Nothing."

He frowned at me, then walked over to the book, kicking it away. He crouched down and cupped something in his hands, observing it. 

"What are you waiting for? Kill it."

"But why? It didn't do anything to you." 

He approached me slowly, wearing a grin.

"What do you think your doing?" 

I backed away.

"The spider wants to apologize, Ava. Don't be rude."

"Don't even think about it."

I kept backing away, but I lost my balance and tripped over a rock, falling onto the ground with a thud. Isaac made his way towards me and kneeled down next to me, holding a closed fist in front of my face. 

"You're crazy!" I shrieked, trying to wiggle away.

He brought his hand closer to my face. I squeezed my eyes shut. "Don't you dare--"

I felt something creep up my face. My heart raced. The spider was on my face.

I pushed him away and screamed. He fell backwards, laughing and holding a strand of grass in his hand.

"Where'd it go? Where's the spider?" I asked, panicked.

"Probably still near that book."

I narrowed my eyes at him, realizing what he'd done. "You...are...sick."

"But you love me," he winked.

"I'm beginning to question it."

He grinned and pressed his lips against my cheek. I tried pushing him away and standing up, but he didn't budge. He sat in front of me, blocking the way and refusing to let me move.

"Get out of the way."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Not until you say you love me back."

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "You're so desperate."

"You gonna say it or not not?"

"I love you."

"I don't believe you."

"Then that's your problem."

"Then I guess I'm not moving."

"You're annoying, you know that?"

"Thank you."

"I said it, what more do you ask?"

"A kiss," he smirked.

"I don't think you deserve one."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"Nope."

"Oh come on, it's your last day here and I don't even get a kiss? We might never see each other again."

There was a very long pause. "Isaac..."

"... Oh, no. I'm -- I'm sorry, Ava, I was just messing about. Don't think that --"

And then my lips were on his.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Feel free to leave any comments, requests, questions or suggestions :D