Chapter 52

Later that day, the interview ended and Mom drove me home.

I spent the following couple weeks in my house, sitting around and binge watching TV episodes or leafing through the pages of thick, brick-like novels that I had no interest in reading. I was bored, following a routine of relentless sleeping, waking up, eating, watching TV, doing nothing, and then going back to sleep.

I didn't like summer. Montreal's weather was scalding hot. The air was thick and humid, and often times I'd walk by public swimming pools and hear kids squealing with joy, goggles taped to their faces as they dived into the cool water. The first day we had gotten to Thailand, there was a swimming pool for our hotel. I can still hear the splashes of the water. I can still see the view from our room. 

--

Nolan and Piper came by before I left.

"You're leaving this afternoon?"

"Yeah."

Piper raised  her brows, "Really? Seems like just yesterday we were in Thailand."

"How long are you going?" Nolan asked.

"2-4 weeks."

"That's a long time."

"Yeah," I breathed. "But I think it'll be a good opportunity for me to help others that have gone through the same or worse situations, y'know?"

Nolan offered me a smile, "You're a good person, Ava."

I bit my lip and looked away. "Um, thanks."

Piper cackled, "You're red."

"I am?"

"Yep," she laughed. "Well, we gotta go. We're off to La Ronde with Colton and a few other classmates. We would have liked for you to come with us, but you're kind of heading to Thailand today to head on this humanitarian mission of yours."

"Bye, Piper." I chuckled.

She grinned and began walking away. "I'll leave you and Nolan to your emotional goodbyes," she said over her shoulder.

Nolan laughed and scratched the back of his neck, a long pause allowing the awkwardness to sink in. "Um, I guess I'll see you around. Have fun on your trip."

"Thanks," I smiled. "I'll see you around."

--

The car ride to the airport seemed long.

I gazed out the window, watching the road zoom past me like flashes of film frames. 

Once the car stopped at the airport, I climbed out and opened the trunk, taking out my suitcase. My mother got out too, helping me grab my stuff and then extending her arms, holding them out and waiting for me to hug her. I wrapped my arms around her and for a split-second remembered how it used to be; the times where Mason and I would look forward to our family trips every year, and I'd help him pack his stuff, and my father would drive us all to the airport. Now it was just me, getting on a flight alone.

My mother pulled away and looked at me, smiling a little. "Look at you, all grown up. Have a safe trip, Ava."

"Thanks Mom. Love you."

"I love you too, Ava." 

--

As I waited in line to get through airport security, I noticed a little boy holding his mother's hand, staring at me. I pretended not to notice, placing my belongings in a plastic bin and setting them on the counter. At the corner of my eye, I saw him pull on his mother's arm. "Maman?"

His mother didn't seem to notice. Instead, she was on her cell phone, chatting with someone. He yanked on her arm once more, before she sighed and said, "What is it, Adrian?"

"Why does that girl have marks on her arms?" he asked bluntly, pointing towards me. I took a quick glance at the scars left on my skin from the wave. They were white and light pink lines, drawn and dented into my skin from my shoulder down to my wrist. I hadn't really thought of them too much until now, when the little boy had pointed them out.

"Adrian, no pointing. That's rude." His mother snapped.

"But Ma--"

"Adrian," she said sternly.

The kid sighed and dropped his bag into one of the bins, placing it behind mine. He continued to stare at me, but didn't say anything else.

"Ever heard of tsunamis?" I asked.

The boy shook his head. "No. Why?"

"It's a wave-"

"Oh, yeah! My older sister who's in grade five did a project on those! They're like um, comment dire? De grandes vagues. Je l'ai vu à la télé." 

"Exactement. That's why I've got these scars."

"Really?"

"Adrian--" his mother cut in.

"Scars are cool though," he continued. "They make you look tough."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Thanks."

--

By the time I got onto the plane, it was late. A yawn rolled through me and I rubbed my eyes, waiting for the plane to take off. Finally, the engine started and the plane began to dart full speed ahead. The ear-splitting noise roared. I looked out the window and saw the road zooming past me, until the plane tilted upward and it lifted off the ground. The view became smaller and smaller, tiny figurines of cars racing along miniature highways. I saw fields of grass and small boxes as buildings, until clouds began blocking my vision and the plane flew through the sky.

Slowly, I could feel my consciousness slipping away. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, thinking of Thailand and picturing the way it would be. It had probably been cleaned up by now, or in the process of rebuilding. I imagined the way it had been when I had first arrived there; the birds soaring through the sky and cutting through the clouds; the sun rays glinting against the surface of the water; the swirls of wind dancing along the rustling palm trees, and the vivid moment captured of the way the waves crashed onto the shore.

Soon enough, I'd be in Thailand.

A/N: Dedicated to -Gabyy- because I mentioned Adrien :P (Although I spelled it the other way because I know it gets on your nerves ^-^ But at least I made him French :))

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!