Chapter 34

I entered my house, the aroma of creamy tomatoes and the earthy sent of basil sending me towards the kitchen. I walked in, catching sight at my mother stirring a bowl on the gas stove with a wooden spoon, her back turned towards me.

"Hi Mom," I said, making her flinch. She didn't turn around, instead, she moved her arms towards her face and pressed her fingers to cheeks, wiping them. 

"Hi sweetie," she sniffled, her back still facing me. 

I approached her, slowly and carefully, revealing her pink nose and tear-stained cheeks. I didn't want to say anything. I felt a lump grow in my throat. I hated watching her cry, because she rarely did. Even after we got back from Thailand, she never really spoke about Dad or Mason, and she never really showed any emotion. She locker her pain away somewhere deep, masking it and hiding it from everyone, including me. She was strong. A lot stronger than me.

"What's for dinner? Tomato soup?" I asked.

"Yes, sweetie." She said, turning off the stove and setting the wooden spoon down on the counter. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. I pressed my lips together, watching for a few more moments. 

I couldn't stand to watch her like this. I wanted to wrap my arms around her, sob into her shoulder, cry for Mason and Dad. I wanted to talk about it. I wanted to let it all go, but I guess that was what Ms. Campbell was for. Still, I took a deep breath, swallowed hard and built up the courage to ask her what was wrong.

She stared at me for a second, her eyes blank. What she said next ripped me apart. 

"Mason is six today." She whispered, pulling me closer to her. She wrapped me safely into her arms and with her voice breaking, said, "My baby is six."

--------

The curse ran in my family. The worst first day ever curse.

Hundreds of small figures ran around the school yard. Mason was starting kindergarten, and I couldn't help but dread how his first day would go.

Would he: Go to the wrong class? Lose his school supplies? Make no friends? Not listen in class?

He was already off to a bad start; we had forgotten his lunch box at home.

"What am I going to do now?" he whined, his eyebrows furrowed and his arms folded tightly. He looked at me with wide, angry eyes, his expression so furious and contorted it was almost funny.

"You'll borrow snacks from other kids," my father said.

He squinted, stomping his foot on the floor and waving his arms in the air. "But we're not allowed to share snacks!"

My mother sighed, "I guess I can take some time off work and go back-"

"No," I interrupted, "Mason, trust me, I know. The lunch monitors won't notice the snacks if you pass them under the table. You have to be very discreet." I smirked. "I've done it before." I reached into my pocket, taking out five dollars, "Worse comes to worst, buy your lunch."

My parents looked at each other, "That's a good idea," Mom said.

Mason frowned. "I don't know how to do that!"

"Buy you're lunch? It's easy." I said, "Just ask one of the lunch monitors. Plus, dessert is included."

"Dessert?" he said, his frown fading into a smile, "Really?"

"Yeah," I chuckled.

A smile spread across Mason's lips as he pulled me into a tight hug. "Thanks, Ava."

He let go and then turned around. As he entered the school yard, he waved at us.

"Goodbye! Have a great day!" my mother called.

"Goodbye! I love you!"