Chapter 21

I woke up to the warm, Thailand air. My eyelids felt heavy, a result of me crying myself to sleep. I lifted my head from my pillow, untangling myself from the sheets.

Flashbacks from the previous day came flooding. The photograph of my brother, visiting Harper, the childhood memories, breaking the news to Piper.

I felt numb. Nothing felt real anymore. Mason was coming back. I'd see him again. The boy in the picture wasn't my little brother. I'd wake up in my bedroom in a couple of hours and realize that this was all just one, terrible nightmare.

I observed my surroundings, catching a glimpse at Piper and Harper. They were asleep. I figured that Isaac was probably outside.

He was. I found him sitting on the grass, staring at the sky and waiting for the sun to rise. I took a seat next to him.

"Hey," he said, offering me a smile.

"Your sister's back, huh?"

"Yeah, they let her leave."

There was a long bit of silence. I watched the sky, taking a deep breath. I couldn't stop thinking of Mason -- couldn't stop thinking of the day the wave hit. I pictured his smile, listened to the sound of his laugh... Think of something else, Ava.

"Are you okay?" Isaac asked. I flinched at the sound of his voice, my heart racing.

I glanced over at him and found him staring. My face burned fiery red. "What?"

"Are you okay?" he repeated. He didn't look away.

I turned my attention to the sky, pretending not to notice his gaze. "No," I breathed. My throat tightened. "It's my fault he's gone."

"Shh," I felt the heat of his palm brush against mine, my heart pounding as he held my hand in his. "Think of something else."

I shook my head, the flashbacks flooding my mind. "I can't."

Another long pause. I listened to the sound of the wind rustling through trees, and the noise of birds singing as the clouds broke apart.

"Ava," Isaac said, taking my chin and turning me to face him.

"Yes?" I said, looking into his eyes. His lips were just inches from mine.

He moved closer, gently removing a strand of hair from my face. Hesitantly, I placed my hand on the back of his neck. And then he leaned in, his lips pressing against mine in the sweetest and softest kisses.

A/N: The_lost_Me you asked for Iva, you got it! XD bookswithblankets I know you won't be happy with this chapter. *evil smirk*

Feel free to comment any requests, feedback, suggestions or questions. Hope you enjoyed!

QOTD: Favourite food?