Chapter 11 The tea

"I'm here to see Duke Ethan," Josoline announced, stepping into the garden on the other side of the palace, known as the old palace. She couldn't fathom why he wanted to meet here.

Her enthusiasm was lacking, though she couldn't pinpoint why. Ethan was a fine young man, undoubtedly interested in her. Yet, secretly, she longed for Prince Leonardo's attention instead of the Duke's. Perhaps this luncheon could strengthen her bond with Ethan and, with luck, secure her a proposal before the season's end—a necessity according to Becka.

As she sighed, the footmen guided her to the garden outside, where Ethan and Theodore were engrossed in conversation. The old palace was a sight to behold, adorned with roses and elegant statues. Josoline admired the meticulously trimmed grass and the serene ambiance.

The gentlemen rose as she approached.

"My lady," greeted Prince Theodore with his charming grin.

"Lady Josoline, I'm delighted you could join us," Ethan said, pulling out a chair for her.

"Good to see you again, Lady Josoline," Prince Theodore chimed in, taking his seat across from her. Ethan settled beside her, looking dashing with his neatly combed hair and appealing features.

"Tea?" Ethan offered, his smile infectious. Josoline blinked, momentarily lost in his presence.

"Yes, please," she replied, the maid pouring the tea as Josoline tried to focus on the delicate porcelain rather than Ethan's captivating words.

Josoline found herself pondering Leo's whereabouts. Was he out for a ride, or might she soon catch a glimpse of him?

"Do you concur?" Prince Theodore's query jolted her back to the present.

She realized she hadn't been paying attention. "To be honest, I wasn't really listening," she confessed with a sheepish smile.

Prince Theodore appeared surprised by her candid admission, his eyebrows arching in disbelief. He felt somewhat affronted, having developed a fondness for her, but her nonchalant attitude wasn't particularly endearing.

Ethan, meanwhile, seemed amused by her bluntness. "So, Lady Josoline, do you make a habit of ignoring people?" he asked with a grin.

"I try not to," she replied, blushing slightly as she sipped her tea.

Suddenly, a chuckle echoed from behind her. Josoline turned to see Leo approaching. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach at the sight of him.

"What's so amusing?" Duke Ethan inquired.

"Someone actually admitting to tuning out Theo," Leo remarked, standing next to Josoline's chair with a grin.

"Lady Prescott," he addressed her, and she stood, dipping into a curtsy. "My prince." His kiss on her hand sent shivers down her spine, and she blushed as she resumed her seat, stealing glances at him. Leo's slightly tousled hair and grey coat accentuated his eyes.

"What's on the agenda for today?" Leo asked casually.

"Just a little chat and tea," Theo answered, his tone mild. Josoline glanced at him and offered a small smile.

Leo couldn't believe she was here. She had looked stunning at last night's dinner in her lime green dress, her hair elegantly pinned up. He wished he could have whisked her away and removed that dress, but he had to push the thought aside. There was something different about her, and he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

*********

"Lady Hanna and Lady Drusilla have arrived, my lords," announced the older gentleman.

The two ladies appeared, Lady Hanna beaming with anticipation, relishing the prospect of some private time with the young prince. His invitation caught her off guard, considering she believed Lady Josoline had captured his attention after their exchange at last night's dinner. In the palace, it seemed like every move was scrutinized, and one had to carefully craft the impression they wished to convey.