Chapter 14

Still laughing, and holding hands, Tobias and I walk back to the little room. Natalia is giggling happily under her chocolate layer. We reach the door and Tobias pushes it open with his free hand. I jump when I see him. I wasn't expecting him.

Caleb sits, waiting on the couch. He is drumming his fingers on the upholstery and it's makes an odd scratchy sound. "Good evening, Beatrice." He says, ignoring both Tobias and Natalia. I hand Natalia to Tobias and take a step forward toward my brother. Tobias is still frozen in the doorway. My mouth is dry as I say,' "What do you want." I try to keep my tone flat and even, but instead my voice shakes. He is staring at my every movement, no matter how minuscule. I feel exposed, and vulnerable. "I want to talk to Tris alone." Caleb says. I know that Tobias is about to interject, but I nod my head, and silently he carries Natalia out of the room. "What?" I ask impatiently. "I just wanted to spend some time with my sister." He says this with a slightly menacing voice. I will admit that I am afraid, whatever he really does want, it can't be good. I take a step closer, he pats the seat next to him. I sit on the very edge, just in case I need to make any quick movements.

He stands, and goes to the bathroom. He appears a minute later, and I notice that he slipped something into his pocket. He sits back down, and puts his arm around my shoulders. I go stiff. I feel a quick pain on the back of my head, and Caleb removes his arm from my shoulders. He keeps his hand closed in his lap, but first, I see a quick flash of blond. Wordlessly he stands up, "We should do this again, Beatrice." He says, and then he is out the door. Tobias walks in, carrying Natalia, with a puzzled look on his face. "I don't know." I say.
__________________________

I can't sleep that night. I keep feeling the back of head, nothing is missing. He must of only taken a strand or too. Nonetheless, why would he take my hair? What did he take out of the bathroom? Quietly, as not to wake up Tobias or Natalia, I make my way over to the bathroom. I rummage through all of our belongings. Nothing is missing except... where is my toothbrush? I search everything. It is missing. I try to make sense of it all. A toothbrush and hair. How do they relate? And then I realize... he was collecting DNA.

---------------------------------------------

Thank you to all of my loyal readers! You all are amazing!!!!!! :-)