Chapter 18

(Natalia's POV)

After school, Emily, Noah, and I pick up Lynn. They take the train, but I decide to walk. It would be to awkward, I don't know exactly why but Emily seemed almost mad at me. Noah even seemed jealous. But, he can't be. He made it very clear that he didn't like me.

I try to put the thought out of my mind as I walk. My dad taught me side routes to get home if I ever missed the train. I asked him why I couldn't just walk through the city, it was faster. I remember his face turning very pale, his words stick with me to this day. "There are people in the city, dangerous people, people that believe you shouldn't exist or grow up like this." As I remember, a shiver runs down my spine.

I will admit my curiosity, but I still won't dare venture in Chicago. I've been to the city once or twice, but only with my parents. We only went to visit Grandma Evelyn, who lives close to the my school. So, I haven't really seen the majority of the city.

I walk in silence, admiring my surroundings. The dim, yet bright evening light reflecting upon the old rustic buildings. I am absorbed with my surroundings beauty.

I jump when I feel the tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see Emily, she looks incredibly angry. "Emily, what's..." She doesn't let me finish. "How could you!" She screams. "How could I what?" I ask in a rather irritated manner. "You just had to ask Jason didn't you!" What, I think to myself. "You don't even like him!" I respond, I am frustrated now. Emily's face goes blank. A single tear runs down her cheek. "I'm sorry." I whisper "You never told me, I didn't know." "It's ok." She responds. "I should have told you, but you asked him first, I mean you should go with him if you like him." I open my mouth to speak, but quickly close it. Do I like him? Or did I just ask him out of frustration about what Noah said? I can't meet Emily's eyes. "Friends" she whispers. "Best friends." I whisper back.

---------------------------------------------

Ahhh!!!! 1000 readers! You guys are amazing. :-)
Please vote and comment. ❤️