Chapter 36

(Tessa's POV)

We made it. We are alive, this momentary joy is shattered by a picture of Leo's decrepit body, lying so still on the floor.

Noah and I limp across the grounds and breath in the crisp night air as we make our way to the group. Everyone is huddled around the two trucks.

I take a seat and wait in silence with Christina, Shauna, Zeke, Uriah, Emily, Jason, Lynn (Emily's and Noah's little sister, just in case you guys forgot.), and Noah, waiting for my mother and father to come out.

I glance over at Christina and Uriah, deep worry lines mark there faces as they look for their sons face.

Finally, they walkover to us, I wish that I were dead right now.

"Where is Leo?" My heart drops and tears begin to flow down my cheeks again. "He didn't make it." I croak, leaving out the fact that I had indeed killed him.

Christina begins to cry and sobs into Uriah's arms, he rests his head on hers. I have never seen him cry before, but there is a first for everything. Together they sob, soaking one another in tears, while their sons murderer sits weak and helpless only a few feet away.

Noah puts his lips to my ear and whispers, "you didn't tell them about him being a traitor, or you killing him."

"Something's aren't meant to be shared," I plead, "let them remember him as the sweet young boy that they knew, not as the traitor he became. As for how he died I can't bear, I just......"

"In time." Noah says, "in time."

I stare deep into his eyes, he leans in to kiss me until we hear a door swing open. Pants and heaves come from the entrance of the Bureau. My father looks out of breath as he carries my mother across the stretch of land towards us.

The sight of my father makes my heart flutter, nothing else seems more important then him being alive.

I leave Noah's arms, suddenly embarrassed and worried that my father will realize my relationship status.

He sets mom down, comes up and embraces me.

"I love you, I will never leave you or your mother again." He says as he hugs me tighter, limiting my oxygen intake.

He finally let's go and I sit down next to Noah again, making sure to keep my distance. It's incredible how even in this short period of time without it, I already want to hold Noah close.

"We should go." My father looks different, tired, older even. I'm worried about him, I'm worried about what they, whomever they are, did to him in the Bureau.

Under his command we pack up the trucks, I carry the small box that may contain secrets unknown to the world, secrets that shouldn't be kept.

We pile in, my dad sitting in the front seat, and my mother in the drivers seat. I can see the pain on her face, I don't know if it is from her ankle, or from all of the trouble that we are yet to go through.

Noah and I are scrammed in the back seat together, with Jason, Keri, and Emily as well.

This has just begun, war is coming. I have no doubt, my parents may have delayed the deaths and destruction of Chicago, but they didn't stop it.

We will need all of our hope and strength to survive, we will need to rely on each other for support. We are only a handful of people, maybe insignificant to this grand world, but we will save Chicago.

I turn and whisper in Noah's ear, "I love you too."

--------------------------------------------

Please comment and vote! This was the last chapter! 😄 I can't wait to start the sequel, but I need more you guys to participate in the authors contest first. Good luck, and have fun my rebels. Remember that where there is hope, love, and literature, everything thrives.❤️