Chapter 24

(Natalia's POV)

I can't believe it. My father is dead. A hollow feeling rests deep inside my chest as waves of tears and sobs rack my frail body.

It has been exactly one day since his death.

I sob on my bed, the golden morning light flooding into my room and giving everything an un-earthly glow. I hear a faint knock on my door, and moan a 'come in'. Noah enters.

I don't say a word, and Noah doesn't either. He holds me close in his warm embrace as I sob into his shirt.

It is only 5 am, and I have to be at the hub by 10 pm. It is my birthday, but I feel miserable.

When I finally can't cry anymore Noah asks if we could take a walk. He supports part of my weight as we walk out of my room. Careful to avoid my mother, we leave the house. The fresh air fills my lungs, brown leaves crunch under my boots. I try and notice everything, the gentle leaves that dance in the subtle wind. The golden sky, showing touches of blue as the day grows nearer.

"He would be proud of you, you know." Says Noah. "I know." I respond.

We walk around for a bit more, until the gold disappears and the sky is lit with blue, white whips' of clouds breaking it up. I admire the ever changing world around me, taking in everything while I have the chance, who knows how much time I have left on this planet?

The thought scares me, so I dismiss it. "Do you want to go out tonight?" Noah asks, rather nervously. I simply nod.
__________________________

I feel hot and uncomfortable due to my layers of clothing. So as not to raise suspicion I told my mom that Noah and I were going to the local mall to walk around.

I can feel my blue dress rub against my skin, hidden by sweats and a jacket. I think of my father, would he approve of this relationship? I don't know, and I never will know.

I get into Noah's old car and with a creak, the engine whirls to life as he turns on the ignition.

Wordlessly, we sit listening the occasional moaning engine as we head to our destination.

Wherever we are going, it is very far away from my home. I try to recognize roads and buildings, but am unsuccessful. Between my tears and the dirty windows, it is near impossible to see any of my surroundings.

"Where are we going?" I ask. "You'll see, I got you something." He responds, I can see that he now has a few tears welling up in his eyes. I can't blame him, Zeke, Shauna, and my mom and dad were like second families to him, in a way we all were raised by the three families.

The car screeches to a holt, jerking me up against the seat belt. We climb out of the car, and I am speechless when I see my surroundings. Noah stands beside me, we hold hands. "It's just like mom and dad's stories." I take a step closer to the large Ferris wheel. "I know, that's part of the reason why I brought you here." Puzzled, I ask, "part?" Without speaking, he drags me up to the Ferris wheel, where I can now make out a small golden plaque. 'Tobias Johnson, a loving father, husband, and friend.' Tears flow down my cheeks. "Zeke helped me with the wording, he deserved so much more, but at least he has this."

I whip around and kiss him, hard and without warning. He stumbles back before finding his ground. He wraps his arms around my waist, and I lay my hands on his chest. I part my lips from his and whisper, "Thank you." through tears.

We stay like this for a while, eyes closed, our foreheads resting on each other as we hold one another close. I enjoy the peaceful silence that surrounds us as the time passes. I glance at my watch, it is 9:30 pm and I have to be at the hub by 10. Had we really been here for three and a half hours? It felt more like only minutes had passed.

"Noah, I hate to be the one to say this, but we have to go." Hand in hand, we walk back to the car with tear stained faces and heavy hearts.

---------------------------------------------

Thank you to all of my dedicated readers. The comments and votes as well as my growing number of fans give me the motivation to keep writing and I am very thankful. 😊