{ THIRTY-SIX }

CHAPTER 36 | Grief

Thank you so much for 2000 reads!! For your comments and your votes! I love y'all! *sends virtual hug to you*

I don't want to keep you waiting so long, so I'll try to update a bit more frequently now :)

Trigger warning.

"Who the hell is Zack?" Herman asked, but I was too shocked by the words that I just heard from Amber, as to scold him for his stupid question.

I stood there dumbfounded, with a painful pang tugging at my heart. I just couldn't believe what she had said. This couldn't be real. I refused to believe that Zack was dead!

I shook my head in complete disbelief while I looked at Amber. "You... You got to be kidding."

She looked up at me angrily. "How the fuck am I supposed to be kidding about someone's death, Mark?!" She snapped, still crying.

"B-But that just can't be true! How did it happen?" I asked stupidly, part of me telling that it had to do with how I beat him up yesterday. Did I really hit him that hard? Was it an accident? Or what?!

Amber looked down at the floor and wiped her face before speaking. "I... I went to his house so we could come to school together, as always... I rang his bell several times, but he wasn't answering. I-I thought he was still sleeping, so I tried calling at his phone and knocking on the door, but still there was no response. I started to get worried, so I called his aunt and... She went to open the door to his house... When... When we got to his bedroom... H-He had hung himself with the curtains!" She finished as she cried harder.

I felt another pang in my chest at hearing that. He had committed suicide... After what I did to him... I was the reason for which he killed himself... My breathing increased in speed at the realization, and not in a good way.

"I don't understand. Why did he do it? He looked fine just yesterday!" Jaida exclaimed, just as shocked as I was.

"I don't know." Amber said, shaking her head. "I don't know... But yesterday I also noticed he wasn't replying to my messages... I thought he had gone to sleep already, but... I never thought he had done such a thing!"

Amber cried non-stop as Jaida hugged her so she was crying on her shoulder. Vincent rubbed a hand down and up her back, while he directed a hateful glare on his eyes towards me.

I gave a few cautious steps back from the scene, the worry and shock still evident on my face, but now the nervousness was added after I saw his glare. They don't know I was the reason why he did it, do they? They would've blamed me right away, so maybe they don't know. Probably Vincent is thinking that I had something to do with his death, which is true. He's dead because of me! But if they find out, I would be in serious trouble!

I looked behind me to see the reactions of my friends. Scarlet had her arms crossed, and there was a simple serious look on her face, if only a very little bit of remorse, but she was very good hiding it. Herman was carelessly looking around with his hands on the pockets of his pants, not showing any emotion at all either, but I knew that he was clearly trying to look cool to hide his guilt and no one suspected of him.

Rupert looked just as shocked as me, his mouth hanging open as he looked at a crying Amber. I could see the guilt and the regret on his face, even though he had been the less involved one in my stupid plan.

"Oh my God. I can't believe he did that." Skylar muttered with a hand over her mouth. She looked confused, of course, because she was the only one of our group who had no idea of why he had killed himself.