Chapter 37

Chapter 37
Dec 29

"All set?"

I gave mom a loopsided smile "Yes mom. I'm ready to go now"

I could see the tears springing up in her eyes and her smile looked bittersweet "Thanks for coming, Abigail. Really"

"It's all thanks to Aunt Carole though. I'd never have come if she wasn't her usual adamant self. For once, I'm grateful to that"

"I'll visit soon. I promise. We'll get to hang out one on one like we should and you'd continue filling me in on how your life has been for the past decade"

Sarayah spoke "You guys want to leave me out, don't you?"

Mom teased "go away, you've had your moments"

"I'm gonna ignore that and instead give my little sister a big hug"

"What's with people and hugging me all of a sudden?"

"Because you smell great. Don't let it get into your big head"

I rolled my eyes at her and laughed "Still the same"

Nosa said "Do you need some help carrying your stuff out?"

"Yes please. I didn't realise that I came with  alot of stuff"

Mom pointed out "I did offer to help you  carry it when you came

"I was too stubborn to complain"

Sarayah's expression became serious "I don't think I really apologized about my behaviour when I first came. I said some really crappy things and made fun of you for being single. I'm insecure about things, I'm not proud of it. I just get too sensitive around you. You have a happy simple life. I've missed that. I missed that growing up. I'm not complaining, because I know how much mom gave up to make me who I am today, but sometimes, I wish I had a simple life. You had that and it made me self conscious. I'm sorry"

"I should apologize too. I was kinda mean. I also thought of you as a perfect celebrity snob. But you aren't any of that. You are sweet, selfless and a little crazy and I love every single thing about you. Even your psycho diva side. Sometimes"

Pouting, Sarayah says "Now I really need to hug you"

Mom added "I'm joining in". That was how the three Duke women gave eachother big hugs.

Entering inside my car, I give Colin one last hug " bye sweetie"

His sweet smile made me smile back "buh-bye, Auntie Abbie"

I said to his mother "He really should visit me more often. Not you two . Just him"

Nosa grinned "We wouldn't mind that at all. Now would we?"

Sarayah quipped "As long as she feeds him well, I'm down with it. He's an angel. Never causes trouble"

"Exactly"

I let my gaze fall around mom's house and the buildings around Christmas town that I could see. A sad sigh escaped my lips.

Mom's eyebrows crinkled "Are you okay, hon?"

"It's silly but a part of me wished Ayo came to see me before I go"

"You want to see him?"

"It's hard to explain."

Sarayah frowned "I really did like him, despite it all. He even got along with Nosa"

"I know. Things happen. I will miss Christmas town too"

"Me too. Too bad we'd be leaving on the 6th. I have a photoshoot on the 8th. Can't miss that"

Nosa added "I have a court hearing on my case on the 9th. So we'd be going back to England just as we planned"

"I wish you both good luck on your plans. Especially you, Nosa. I'll put you in my prayers"

Sarayah snorted "what prayers?"

I fought the urge to playfully kick her "I'm going to break your arms someday, Sarah"

"Keep dreaming, Abs"

Smiling widely at her, I turned on my ignition and waved at them "bye, everyone" .

They waved back at me as I drove off, watching their silhouette get smaller and smaller, until I couldn't see it anymore.

.........
........
.........

When I got back home, Mipo had surprised me with a welcome back party, with only she and Mayowa in attendance.

It was nice of her. I knew she was trying to cheer me up and I appreciated it. "Thanks guys. I really need this."

Mayowa was helping me pack things in, like the sweet gentleman he was, and asked "Should I bring in the painting?"

Mipo sent me a sad look and I shrugged off the unhappiness I felt. I didn't have the heart to get rid of the painting I bought from Seyi. Unfortunately, it reminded me of Ayo, but I wasn't ready to get rid of things that were tied to him "Yeah. Thank you. I'll hang it up in my room"

After packing my suitcases in, Mayowa asked "So what next? What's the new plan for the last days of the year and the upcoming new year for Abigail Duke?"

"Firstly, I need to compile my work I did on Goldyn Land Estates and send it to my editor before 31st. I'm going to call it '28 days in Christmas town'"

Mipo nodded "I like it. Go on"

"I'm going to leave and spend New year's eve and day with my dad, like I promised"

"Family goals. Love it"

I smiled at her "And I'll prepare for the new year by helping you plan your gorgeous wedding"

"Yes. I love this"

"I'm also going to move out of here, after you two get married. I'm going to get my own place. I think it's time I learn to live alone. Aunt Carole was right. I need to be better. This is one of the ways to do so"

Mayowa asked "Are you sure you can handle that?"

"I won't know, until I find out. I'm willing to do so"

"We're proud of you, Abbie. It's not easy facing what you're afraid of"

I smiled softly. Ayo taught me that, no matter how hard I tried to pretend "We all need to face our fears to be better"

Mipo mused "I never thought I'd say this, despite the heartbreak you endured, I'm so happy you went to Christmas town. You've changed. You seem happier. You left with anger and bitterness, but you're back with a better side. I've always loved the old you, but I think I'm madly in love with the new you"

Mayowa joked "What about me? I thought I was your only love"

Mipo laughed "My heart is open to alot of special people"

"Let me leave you two so you can have your moments. I have alot of unpacking to do"

"When you're done. Let's watch a movie. I've been dying to watch this netflix movie I saw. It seemed good"

I nodded at her and went to my room. My life may not be as chaotic as it used to be, but I had Mipo in my life to make it feel on track.

..........
..........
.........

Mipo and Mayowa are back and in person. Yaaaay. I'm so excited how much Abbie has grown and changed. I also love how things between  the Duke women have blossomed and how much they've learnt from each other.

On other notes, the next chapter would solely be on Ayo's POV (Point Of View). That's right. We're finally going to see what's going on in this young man's mind.
I hope you all are excited about this, just as I am.
Xoxo
Jasmine