Chapter 7

I'm being discharged today. The monster seems to be excited about this. If he genuinely believes I would ever willingly go off with him to eat his grandma's carrot cake and hang out in his treehouse then he's got another thing coming. When I get out of here, I'm directly home to pack up and move as far from here as I can possibly get. I never want to see him again.
Even now he's smiling at me and talking animatedly as I quietly fill out my discharge papers.
"I'm sure you can't wait to get out of here and finally get some fresh air", I date the paper.
"You know we can get ice cream if you want", I sign my name.
"Everyone's going to love you", I hand the papers to the receptionist who takes it and continues her typing.
"I can have a room prepared for you or you can take my bed while I sleep on the couch", we walk out the front doors.
"I know you don't feel comfortable with me, yet so I understand that you wouldn't want to share a bed with me", I stand and wait as the cab I called pulls up to the curb. I pull open the door and put one foot through the entrance when I see the smile has fallen from his face.
"What are you doing?", he asks, " our car is over there". I spare a glance over to where he gestured to see the same car that had driven me home last time. I feel my nostrils flare in my anger. He sent someone to find out where I lived so that he could continue to stalk me. I glare at him and shake my head at him. I get in the car slamming the door behind me and tell the driver where to go.
As we drive away, I try to pretend I'm not watching his shrinking figure through the passenger side mirror. His face crumbles with sorrow and he sinks to the sidewalk with his head in his hands. I try to tell myself that I'm enjoying his pain and to some degree, I think I am. Despite my sadistic pleasure, I can't fully ignore the way my heart clenches at the sight of him being in pain.
The driver makes no attempt at small talk which I am grateful for. I have too much on my mind for conversation.
I'm going to have to get all my important documents together as soon as I get home. I'm also going to need to get a few changes of clothing together and probably stop by the bank. I don't know how much a plane ticket is going to cost but considering its so short notice it'll probably be a lot.
As I think, a strange ache begins in my neck. I raise my hand to massage the area. The moment that my first finger meets the tenders flesh a gasp escapes my lips. The ache is still there, but it's now alit with sparks. Startled I quickly pulled away from the area. Maybe I just have some weird form of pins and needles. Whatever the cause of the ache I decide that it's best to ignore it even as the pain grows.
We pull up to my duplex and pay my driver. I rush into the house and frantically begin to gather what I need. I'm throw clothing haphazardly around my room when I hear a knock at my front door. I freeze at the sound and pray that I misheard. I know that I didn't when I hear it again this time accompanied by a familiar voice.
"Please answer the door", his voice is slightly muffled, but it's undeniably him. Something in me pushes me to take a few cautious steps towards the door before I even realize what I'm doing. Snapping out of it I immediately take several wide steps back before searching my room for something I could use as a weapon. Settling on a desk lamp I lock my bedroom door and wait. I know that he is more than capable of getting in.
"Please open up I don't want to hurt you", I back myself into the corner of my room furthest from my door.
I hear the door open. Somehow, I'd thought that he'd break it down and there'd be a loud crash. I guess it makes sense that that isn't the case though. This isn't the first time he's broken in and he never broke anything in the past either.
I hold my breath as I hear his steps approaching the room, I am in. I never realized how creaky my floorboards are until right this moment. I hear him stop right outside my door. I hold my lamp out towards the door in anticipation.
"I understand that you don't want me near you and that you don't want to talk", he starts, "please just listen".
He takes a deep breath, "I'm so sorry about everything. I regret the day we met and how I treated you more than anything else in my entire life. I know that you want to be as far away from me as possible and I can't blame anyone, but myself for that. I wish that I could give you what you want and let you go, but I am a selfish man and I can't. I know you don't understand my behavior or why I haven't been arrested, but I promise I'll answer all of your questions soon. I'm trying really hard to not scare you away from me any more than I already have so I will answer all your question just not today".
I shake as he says all of that. I almost think he's done when he says one more thing.
"I'm sorry, but you can't leave", he says, " you never can again".