Chapter 34

I'm watching the sunset out the window when I hear him open the door. I don't turn to see him and instead listen as his footsteps tread closer to me before I feel the bed sink behind me.
"How was your day?", I ask him. He answers me with a drawn-out sigh. A heavy hand lands on my shoulder and gently pulls me to lay beside him. I lay on my side facing him. We stay still for so long that it comes as a surprise when he slowly leans in with closed eyes. I close my eyes instinctively. His lips move gently against mine and I respond in kind.
He pulls away hesitantly and my eyes flutter open to meet his. Seeing him like this, I've never felt such warmth. I would never want such a tender moment to end but, there's also a look of regret about him.
"What's wrong?", I ask. I fight down the desire to cup my hand to his cheek as I ask him.
"Do you think you could ever want me?", he asks. I sigh at this. I knew we were going to have to talk about what to do during my next heat but, I wasn't looking forward to it.
"I don't know", I tell him. He breaks his gaze from my own.
"I'd wait forever for you if nature allowed it", he says, "I know I can't change the past and I'll spend the rest of my life trying to make it up to you. I know that what I've done is the reason you don't want me but, is there anything that I can fix physically that would help? I know that with my scars I'm not the prettiest thing in the world but, I want to try for you".
"Apex, how can you think that?". I ask him. He is easily the most handsome man I've ever seen. While I'm heartbroken to imagine the terrible things that must have happened to give him these scars they by no means detract from his looks. I couldn't imagine him without them and they rather suit him. He has a rugged sort of handsomeness to him instead of the pretty boy look I'm used to.
"I just want to enough for you", he tells me. I wrap an arm around him and press my lips to his forehead. He similarly wraps an arm around my mid-drift and pulls me tighter to him.
"You are so handsome", I murmur against his forehead, "if things had been different you'd better believe that I'd be all over you". The last few words leave my lips with a slight laugh. His arms tenses around me. He moves his head slightly. His lips make tentative contact right where he once bit me. A moan escapes me at the contact. He must have taken my pleasure as approval as he starts to lightly suck and nibble at the area. I let him continue as he works his way down towards the collar of my shirts.
He swings a leg over me while shifting his weight so that his body is now over my own. His hand tangles in my hair. I feel him start to focus his attention on a spot right under my collar bone. I arch my back up to encourage his ministrations. My fingers tangle into his hair and tug lightly at the roots.
A low rumble leaves his chest and he pulls away enough to look in my eyes. I'd usually be frightened by the way he's looking at me but, now my head feels too light. He leans down to attack my lips and I return his ferocity. One of his hands reaches down to grab my leg and wrap it around him none too gently.
He pulls back and rips his shirt off of his self. He looks pleased when he notices my unabashed stare. My hands move down to trace his scars and abs. He leans back down to me and my hands stay pressed against his hard chest. One of his hands begins to run along from the underside of my knee to my upper thigh. I can feel my excitement building as well as his pressed against my stomach.
I reach my hands around him, one finding its way back to his hair and the other trailing his well-sculpted back.
He presses another kiss to my lips before whispering in my ear, "you have no idea how bad I want you right now". He grinds himself down on me while kissing along my jawline. His hand grips tightly at my thigh before changing focus. His hand moves up to a bit above my waist. His thumb starts tracing the underside of my breast in sweeping motions.
He pulls up to look in my eyes again before asking, "can I?". The question is so vague. I'm unsure if he's asking to touch me or if he's asking for more. The spell that had fallen over me breaks as a question the words. A part of me wants to say yes to anything he wants but, I push that bit down knowing I'd live to regret it if things went much further than this.
I sigh and push myself up into a sitting position with my knees creating a border between us.
"We need to stop this now", my voice is husky from our actions. He nods his understanding and sits facing me.
"Can I at least hold you?", he asks. He searches my face hopefully. I nod and he excitedly lays beside me and pulls me to him so the I'm practically engulfed by him. It's so comforting to have him wrapped around me. I bury my face further into his chest and take a deep breath. He smells like wood smoke and cinnamon. I close my eyes and let the gentle rise and fall of his chest lull me to sleep.
"I love you darling".