Chapter 24

I still haven't made any progress in my research and my heat could be anytime now. I feel like I'm on borrowed time right now. I decided that today I'm going to buy the necessary medication to keep me under. I pass a pharmacy every time I go to the grocery store and I'm hoping that they'll have what I need.
The door chimes as I walk in and the cashier halfheartedly greets me. I walk towards the back section of the pharmacy. Walking past the shelves of green tinted bottles of vitamins I feel my stomach turn to lead.
I'm really about to do this. I'm about to buy a bottle of sleeping pills to overdose with. How did my life get to this point? How did my life turn so convoluted?
I sigh as I pick up the bottle I need. Normally I'd find it worrisome that this pharmacy is selling eighty sleepy pills over the counter like this, but instead today I am grateful. It is a festering kind of feeling and bittersweet at best when I stand in line to buy my pills.
There's an elderly couple ahead of me buying some milk amongst other things. The cashier is still lazily scanning their items when the door chimes again. I look up and see an unfortunately familiar face. His eyes light with recognition and he walks directly towards me. His blond hair seems to bounce despite the fluidity of his motion.
"Well hello there Ma'am", he smiles at me in a way that puts me on edge, " I'm glad to see you made it home safe". He's standing a few feet from me and in no way invading my space, but I wish he was much farther away. I doubt that continent between us would be enough.
I clear my throat before responding, "oh yes thank you for the concern. I glance over to the cashier to gauge how much longer the couple may take. I'm disheartened when I notice the old man picking out a pack of cigarettes.
"I don't feel as though I properly introduced myself yet, my name is Breuer", he holds out a hand for me to shake. I glance at his outstretched for a moment deciphering what to do. He hasn't done anything wrong, but he's setting off so many alarms in my head. To avoid any further awkwardness, I decide to just go with it, my skin crawls at his touch. He gives me an expectant look and I begrudgingly give him my own name. I notice his eyes flit down to the bottle in my hands before meeting my eyes again.
"You know I know a place that sell a much safer version of those", he says. I nod my head and glance away hoping he'll take the hint and just go find whatever it is he came here to buy. He doesn't, instead he rambles on about how great this other medicine is in comparison to mine. I nod while I watch the cashier fumble to lock up the tobacco cabinet.
"You know I could just give you my number so that I could direct you to those next time you need help sleeping", I meet his gaze again. I don't ever want to speak to him again, but I can tell that my agreement would end this interaction and I'm terrified that he could follow me out of this store with no friends to call him away. I sigh as I hand him my unlocked phone and he typed in his number. He even goes as far as to take a goofy selfie for a contact picture. He hands me back my phone and we exchanged goodbyes before he disappears into the shelves of merchandise.
The elderly couple ahead of me finish up. I buy my pills and head home.
It's not until I get home that I finally think of what was wrong. I pull up his contact on my phone and look at his picture. At first glance he'd seem harmless. However, looking into his gray eyes I feel that familiar sense of unease. His eyes hold the same absence as what you would see in pictures of Ted Bundy.
I'm only further unsettled with this realization. I try to calm myself with the knowledge that he knows nothing except my name. I'm in no danger and today was merely a coincidence. I'll probably never see him again. I pray that I'll never see him again.
Turning my thoughts to the matter at hand, I look at the pill bottle. I look at the back and see the warning of how these may be dangerous.
I go on my phone to find out what the lethal dosage of these are to know how many I shouldn't take. Before I can finish typing it in my phone sends an alert to let me know there's a storm warning for tonight. I dismiss it and continue.
Pushing search the first thing to appear is a suicide prevention hotline. I scroll past that to find what I need. I pull up a page on which doctors can answer people's questions. Apparently about twenty of these pills could be lethal. Looking back to the pill bottle I see that two is what's recommended. I decide that in order to make sure I'm safely under and unable to feel the pain I should take ten.
For some reason I can just feel that tonight will be the night. I probably only have a few hours left. I know that the lethal dose would be twice as much as I'm taking, but I'm still scared.
I consider calling my sister just in case something happens. I decide against it and instead choose to write her a note. A pen and some paper, I sit at my table and write the note. When I'm finished with that, I write one to Hope as well. Finally, just for the sake of what has somehow become tradition, I sit at my kitchen table writing a note directed at Apex.
Once I'm done with all the notes, I fold them neatly on the table. I stand and head to my bedroom with the pills. Just as I sit on my bed, I hear the first crack of thunder. Now all there is left to do is await the inevitable.

 Now all there is left to do is await the inevitable