Chapter 35

The days have passed by and I have grown closer to him. Sometimes when I look at him I forget our past and just want to be with him. I sometimes feel like I'm falling for him, or at least certain moments with him. I love falling asleep next to him and then seeing him again when I wake up. I love seeing how kind he is to his brother and grandma. I love it when he smiles so brightly his eyes seem to glow.
  I've been sleeping in his arms for the last two weeks. He looks so sweet next to me. His lips part and his lashes flutter softly on the tops of his cheeks. The sun is peeking over the horizon and casting a golden light across his features. I think he may be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.
  His eyes flutter open and he looks around dazedly before his eyes land on me. A smile stretches across his face. He leans in to press a soft kiss to my forehead.
  "Good morning darling", his sleepy voices greets.
  "Good morn-", my voice breaks off with a squeak as he suddenly grabs me by the hips and pulls me over him.  He cheekily smiles up at me with false innocence. I snort at his antics but, stay straddled over his hips.
  "You probably ought to get up soon", I tell him.
  He pouts at me, "I want to stay here". I pretend not to notice him buck his hips against me, still, I can't help the slight blush that colors my cheeks.
  "Don't you have some kind of work to do?", he groans loudly at my words. His arms go to pull me against him. I hear his steady heartbeat and feel the slow sure rise and fall of his chest.
  "Do you promise you'll still be here tonight when I come back", he asks me this every day and always with a wavering of fear and sadness. Despite my growing feelings, I try my best not to show how I feel as I still feel a slight sense of shame for them. I can't believe that I spend every night being so physical with him.
  Ever since the night a couple of weeks ago when we first started to discuss my heat we'd kept up the same routine with a slow progression. I think that he's hoping to warm me up to the idea of 'completing the bond' when the time comes. I know how he fears that I'll try to go through it without him.
  I also know that I haven't been entirely forthcoming with my own feelings. I'm not ready to voice the small flame I hold for him. I feel weak for him. I know that I'll tell him someday soon but, not today. For now, I'd like for him to believe a bit longer that how I'm behaving can all be chalked up to lust and our bond.
  "Yes", I tell him, "I'll be here". He seems to accept my answer. He goes to sit up and I roll off of him. He goes to the washroom to brush his teeth. I curl into the comfy sheets and start to drift off. I feel him press a soft kiss to my cheek and I fall back into pleasant dreams.
  I'm woken harshly from my slumber to the sound of my phone ringing. I roll over and glare at it vibrating on the nightstand. I sigh realizing it's probably Hope and answer it.
  "Hope, why must you call me at this ungodly hour?", I whine.
  "Sorry to bother you ma'am but, it is noon", chuckles a voice much too deep. I shoot up in bed now entirely awake.
  "Who is this?", I ask now in a much more serious tone.
  "I'm hurt that you don't remember me", he chortles, "but, since I am a gentleman allow me to reintroduce myself, my friends call me Breuer". I remember now. The young man who was a bit over-eager to help me not so long ago.
  "What do you want and how did you get this number?", I demand now standing to pace the room.
  "Calm down there ma'am I'd just like to help", something in his voice makes the hairs on the back my neck raise.
  "How did you get this number", I enunciated every word firmly.
  He sighs, "well you'll have to forgive me ma'am but, I'm afraid I wasn't entirely honest with you. You see, I just had to talk to you that day on the street and I'm afraid my fingers got a bit sticky". I don't know what I was expecting but, it hadn't been that.
  "You pickpocketed me?", I ask incredulously.
  "Well, gee when you say it like that it sounds kinda bad", he chuckles, "I didn't steal nothing, I just needed to talk to ya and I may have peeped your ID". I shiver when to think about what all he may know.
  "Never call me again", I say. I move my thumb over to the end call button when his voice starts up again.
  "Well hold on now ma'am", he says, "as I said I just wanna help, I heard through the grapevine you were having some mate trouble. I wouldn't want a young lady to have to go through the trouble you did last month".
  "How do you know what happened?", I ask knowing he's referencing my heat.
"Well I've got people in all the right places and I know what I need to", he says, "considering how all that mess went and the fact I'm guessing your next heat is in just a few days I wanted to extend an offer".
  "What's that?", I ask.
  "A new drug that could be the answer to your little dilemma", he says, "you see it's not well known in packs as most people don't want their mates finding out about it and using it to reject them but, there's this new slicer that can safely and painlessly put even humans to sleep just for the heat".
  "Why do you want to help me with my relationship issues?", I ask.
  "Well mostly out of the kindness of my heart but, I do crave a boon", he says.
  "What boon", I ask growing increasingly suspicious.
  "Just a quick chat with that Alpha mate of yours", he says.
  "What do you want with him?".
  "Oh nothing big", he says, "it's just so hard to get a meeting with such an important man". I pause for a second. Am I really considering this? No, this is all super sketchy and way too good to be true.
  "I'll have to pass", I tell him.
  "Well if you change your mind you know who to call", he says and with that, I hear the line cut.