Chapter 29

He pulls up a particularly long gravel driveway and in front of a large house. The car comes to a stop and Apex steps out before coming around to open my door and helping me out. He pulls an arm around me and walks me up to the front porch and stepping up onto the platform. 

  We enter the house and he walks me through a few rooms. We come to a large staircase and start upwards.

We circle up three flights of stairs. Our steps creak and echo through the deserted stairwell.  We reach the final landing and start down the hallway. We pass through large open rooms before coming to a hallway. Doors line the walls as we pass in through the twists and turns.

  We finally stop in before a grand looking door. my heart quickens slightly as he reaches out a hand to grasp and turn the doorknob. Time slows and I swear I hear every click of the gears in the knob. A sense of foreboding takes hold of me despite my state of confusion. 

Apex leads with his arm circled around the small of my back I walk slightly behind him dazedly. This room doesn't seem right. Apex gently pushes me to turn and make me sit down on his bed.
"Maybe you should get some rest", he says. I nod in response before stretching out over the dark comforter and closing my eyes. It's so soft and warm, but I can't get comfortable. I feel as though ants are crawling over my skin. I roll over to the other side of the bed thinking that maybe there's something wrong with this side. Still, the feeling persists. I open my eyes to look down at my skin. There's nothing on me. I feel as though I'm going insane.

Apex stands in the corner near the door looking at me concerned. His lips part as he's about to speak before he can I shriek. The blue walls seem to be closing in on me and the sensation of something crawling over me intensifies. I start slapping at my skin before that turns to me clawing at myself. Wetness mixes with the feeling and sticks my clothes to my skin. I fight against whatever fate has befallen me along with the constraints of my clothing. My hands are too unsteady to make their marks and do nothing to end my suffering.

My chest takes on moments of emptiness and pain. I feel almost as though I've had the wind knocked out of me. There is a hollowness in me. Am I having a heart attack?

Something bowls me over onto my back. My arms are pinned on either side of my head. I scream and writhe under the weight of whatever's keeping me down. I try to slap at the constraints around my wrists and kick out my feet. With the walls still closing in and now this added weight I don't even have the ability to stop my breaths from coming out in pants. I smell antiseptic and sickness. Whatever's on me isn't putting any pressure on my stomach yet, nausea rises in me and I taste bile in the back of my throat and the roof of my mouth.

Phantom hands wrap around my throat. The ringing in my head turns to words.

"Please mate, I don't want you to die", he pleads.

"Why did you push me away?" He asks.

"You will not reject me!", he screams.

"We're losing her".

"Oh God, what do I do",

I feel my eyes water from both fear and lack of oxygen. He doesn't seem to notice my desperation as he continues to glare down at me through dark eyes. I am keeping trying to remove his grip from me in vain. My efforts quickly weakening as things begin to get fuzzy. Maybe this is the end. My head feels like it's going to explode.

I see the dark. I feel the hunger. Oh God, the smell. I'll never forget that terrible smell. I remember the water hitting my back and how his eyes turned black.

I can't even scream for help. He's turned my existence into an awful curse.

Reality and memories twist together.

Then the weight lifts and my hands are freed. I'm about to resume scraping at my arms when I'm lifted into the air. I can't see through the blur of my tears and I can't seem to focus my eyes. Despite my inability to see, I can still feel the world rushing by me. 

I feel myself lowered down. My bottoms of my shoes graze along a smooth surface.

"Shhh, love it's okay", whispers a calming voice, "you're safe love". I feel myself being rocked back and forth. He hushes my panicked cries and steadies my still shaking form. Gentle hands stroke my hair and cheek. We stay like that as my heart slows and breaths calm.

"I'm sorry my love"