Chapter Nine: Retrograde

I gracelessly open the door of his mustang and slide into the familiar leather seat. The second I close the door he presses hard on the accelerator, careering into the small street.

I glance over surprised. I haven't even had the chance to ask what he's doing here.

"I thought I'd pick you up here rather than make you walk all the way home." Mind reader.

While his words and actions are thoughtful theres an underlying tone of agitation... maybe even anger.

I watch as he expertly manoeuvres the steering wheel. "How did you know where I was?".

I mean unless he really is a mind reader and read it from all the way across New York, then theres no way he could have just guessed where I was.

He lets out an annoyed sound. "Remember that thing I said about the people following you and me stopping them?"

"Oh". Right. So he's been following me. How did I not remember that part of the conversation?

His knuckles are white as he grips the steering wheel. He's clearly agitated... but at what? Could it be because of- no. He has more worries then who I'm going on coffee dates with.

Sick of sitting in silence, I attempt to break it. "Are you angry?".

Without looking at me he answers flatly. "No. Why would I be?".

"I don't know you just seem agitated. First of all you're gripping the steering wheel like its your life source and second of all you just seem off." I peer over at him waiting for an answer.

He pushes his fingers through his hair and laments.

"Can you just drop it. I'm fine."

And with that the car ride goes back to silence.

In an effort to lighten the mood, I scan the centre console for an aux cord. The black cord camouflages well with the black interior but I find it in no time. I pick it up and wiggle it in front of John, wordlessly asking for permission. The only indication of a response is the slight flick of his wrist. I'll take that as a yes.

Searching through my playlist I become stumped. I don't want to play something that he hates because that will no doubt aggravate him further but I also don't have any idea of what he likes.

I mean considering his age pop music probably isn't a great choice. Maybe he likes the Beatles? I look over at his intense concentration and dark clothing, maybe not.

You know what screw it. I'll play what I like and if he hates it he can turn it off or tell me to change it.

I hit play on one of my all time favourites, Retrograde by James Blake.

The song breaks through the silence with its humming intro. I once again look over at John but his face is expressionless. I guess that means it's okay.

I try to get comfortable in the stiff chair but give up quickly, instead deciding to focus my attention outside the car. My exhaustion from today piles on top of me like a huge weight and in a matter of seconds I feel myself sinking under.

-

The sound of a garage door brings me back to the living. My arms stretch up to the roof as I attempt to un-stiffen my back, the crack of my spine makes my eyes roll back in satisfaction.

Bringing my hands back down I glance over at John... who is currently staring at me.

"You right there?" I wave my hand in front of his face and laugh as he seems to come back to earth.