Chapter 5

They are now sitting in the jet that NCIS took here with all the evidence they collected somewhere in the baggage area. Alex was sitting on the opposite column from the NCIS agents. They were all facing each other as the sitting is arranged that way in that particular section of the plane. Alex was sleeping with his back against the window and his legs on the other seat that is beside his. The way he placed his leg is very graceful, not like some normal teenage that sprawl across and gives off a disgusting feel but its not like this with Alex. Alex's eyes snaps open occasionally and he glance around as if taking in his surrounding while his hand shifts slightly; he doesn't want people to know where his weapon(s) are, smart. He would sleep again when he is satisfied with what he is seeing. A few minutes later his eyes opened again and they did their usual rituals. He groaned lightly after that and covered his eyes with his arm. His hand reached for his cup, it was on their way to his mouth when he stopped slightly to glance at the water for a while. Once he seemed satisfied with the visual inspection he took a small sip and waited before taking a long swing, emptying the cup.
The agents watched from their seats. They can make a wild guess at why he did that; He wanted to make sure there is no poison or drug. It doesn't look purposeful. Lets confirm.
"Is that on purpose?" McGee asked. Ah, the brave soul. Alex glanced at him questioningly, confused with what McGee is asking. "Is what on purpose?"
The agents looked really surprise, which definitely added to Alex's not shown confusion. "The cup thing. When you stopped and glance at the water and then took a small sip for a while before drinking the rest of the contents."
Alex frowned slightly as rewind the series of events in his own head. Alex closed his eyes and tipped his head back into the window. "Did I really do that?" Alex questioned and cracked his eyes open. "There would be no reason to explain that all 4 of us saw that happening right?" Tony asked. They already know their answer; he didn't realize that he was doing it until someone pointed it out. What the hell...how can a kid be doing all this checks that even a veteran does consciously while this kid does it subconsciously? What caused this?
" It's a habit I guess." Alex's eyes darted to the right when he sensed a movement. Then Helena skipped towards them, she gave her dad a hug before walking to Alex and whispered something to Alex. Alex's eyebrows rose slightly before Helena tugged at his sleeves silently asking him to follow. Alex's legs slipped off the chair gracefully. He glanced at the ground before setting his foot down. He did it again! The checking!
Helena wrapped her tiny fingers around two of Alex's slim fingers and led the way. She led him to her seat and pushed Alex gently into her seat and climbed on to his lap then pulled out a sheet of paper and colour pencils. Alex reached over to unfold the tray. Helena placed the paper on the tray and handed the colour pencils to Alex. She tipped her head back to look at Alex and mumbled something before smiling at him. Alex looked her and then leaned over the seat to look at the team. They glanced at him questioningly, Helena leaned over and smiled sweetly at the team before turning away to pull something else out. The team can't see it but Alex can. Helena pulled out a group photo of the entire team including the forensic and autopsy inspector with Helena. Helena asked Alex to draw it for her. Alex drew while listening to music and Helena sat on his lap looking at Alex's hand doing their magic with the colour pencils. When Alex was almost done, he just need to sign it, Helena grabbed one side of his earpiece and stuck it into her ear to hear what he's listening to. The team looked at them and saw Helena's face contort with confusion, then happiness, then frowns again.
Alex put the pencil down after he was done. "Who's the lady?" Helena asked, loud enough for the team to hear. Alex looked at Helena, she looked right back. Alex pressed his lips into a thin line. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back onto the headrest. Helena thought that Alex wouldn't reply when he spoke up for the team to hear too. "She was my housekeeper, her name is Jack Starbright. A very beautiful and cheerful red haired American lady, she was my best friend. "
"Was?" Tony asked. Ziva headslapped him, saying something among the lines of 'Idiot, don't be insensitive'
"She was my best friend... She was killed. She was sitting on a bomb in the car she was trying to escape in."
The agents expressions prompted him to continue. " We were capture by one of my enemies and an evil me- plastic surgery clone-. They were gonna make the last of my days the worst, both physically and mentally. They strapped me to a chair and hooked me up with wires to motor my emotional state while they allowed Jack to escape. Jack got in the car and my evil clone detonated the bomb. The car went up in flames. Jack died such a horrible death... and it was all because of me. If I just asked her to leave earlier, she would be in America now studying and getting a degree." Alex said as his hand started to tremble a little. Alex's eyes snapped open and did a visual sweep before smiling sadly at the agents and Helena. He looked so much more tired after sharing the story with them. Alex clenched and unclenched his fist. Helena saw that, took both of Alex's hands and started playing with them. Then she let go and said, "Plait my hair."
Alex raised an eyebrow, amused, and asked, "What makes you think I know how to plait hair?"
"You did it before. To mine, when we were in there. You defended for me, took beatings for me, and sacrificed your food for me, then you entertain me by playing with my hair. All the different styles that even I don't know existed."
"Ah that... I thought you would have forgotten about that already. Its kind of weird that I'm playing with a girl's hair."
"No its not." The entire team and Helena said together, they looked at each other before turning back to Alex. "Its every guy's dream to play with a girl's hair." Tony said. Everyone looked at him, Alex crumpled up a piece of paper into a ball and chucked it at Tony which hit him square in the head. "Hey!"
"That's so accurate... he wasn't even aiming. " Ziva said. "I am not that type of boy." Alex said. "Its every girls dream to have their hair played by a handsome guy." The air stewardess said as she emerged from where the drink and food is. Helena spread her arms out side ways and leaned on Alex jokingly and said, "He's mine." Alex's eyebrow raised a little, shock and not sure what to do next and showed a 'Are you guys serious?' face. "You are handsome, kid. But don't worry I have a husband already. I leave you for Helena."
"Ziva, would you pass me the paper?" Ziva picked it up and threw, Alex caught it and immediately chucked it at The air stewardess's head, the paper then bounced off her head and hit Tony again. "Was that on purpose?" McGee asked. "Mathematically, that is possibly on purpose. I can do that again with Tony and the lady in a different position and the results will still be the same, mathematically."
"That sounds really complicated for a person your age." Tony said. "and you Tony. Coz you're dumb. " Ziva said. "Shut up Ziva."
"I agree with Ziva." McGee said. "Me too." Gibbs said. "Not you too, Gibbs."
"Well if you understand that, then we'll have Alex explain something, and see if you understand." Gibbs said then looked at Alex. "Ok! Bring it on!" Tony said. "You're suppose to know this," Alex explained about chromatography. "Huh? I missed everything you said. " Tony said. Alex was about explain again when Helena opened her mouth and summarized it. "Chromatography is to separate what is in a particular substance." The team looked at Helena, surprised. Alex had a smile on his face. "Well done Helena. I'll get you an ice-cream as promised."
"Yay!!!!!!" Helena threw both hands up then moved her hands to the front of her chest and did circular motions with it while saying, "I'm smarter than Tony. Uh huh. Oh yeah!"
"How did you know that Helena?" McGee asked, curious. "Alex taught me that when we were together in the house. He explained stuff that would have been difficult to understand but he summarized it so well that even I can understand!"
"What else did he teach you? Lets see if Tony understands." Gibbs said. "Hey! I'm right here!" Tony exclaimed. "Can I have some coffee, Miss Desdemona?"
"Sure. I'll be right back."
"Nice name by the way. Small moon of Uranus."
"Thanks. Did you memorize the dictionary or something?" Alex just smiled in return. "Are you flirting?" Tony asked.