Chapter 3

Cassia

     Cassia lay in bed, her dagger in hand as she twirled it around her fingers, scowling at the memory of Hunter. She couldn't believe she lost. She couldn't believe Hunter had overtaken her. It made her feel weak.

     The competition was the one thing Cassia looked forward to and it crushed her to have lost like that at the tournament. And with everyone cheering Hunter on as if they were thrilled by her downfall was the worst part. Maybe she wasn't perfect, but why did everyone hate her?

     Her heart sunk as she realized maybe Hunter was right. Her father got rid of her because clearly, Cassia was unlikeable.

     "Do you think my father sent me away because he hates me?" Cassia asked.

     Her eyes slipped to Astra who also lay in bed. Astra was holding a book in her hand - a Romance book, which she regularly indulged in.

     "Your father doesn't hate you," Astra said, her eyes sliding to meet hers. Her eyebrows knitted together. "You just... can be a nuisance sometimes. And your father thinks this will put a stop to your shenanigans."

     "I hate the word shenanigans. I'm not a child."

     Cassia grumbled and Astra sighed. Astra wasn't quite her friend. She was her guard, but sometimes she filled the spot of therapist.

     "Well, it's his fault," Cassia said, her voice dropping to a whisper. "He's the one fuelling the fire."

     Astra was quiet for a moment. She could feel her eyes lingering on her, thinking about how pitiful she was, and Cassia hated that. She hated how pathetic she was when it came to her father.

     "I don't know if you heard, but there are rumours of trouble stirring up in your kingdom," Astra said. "Violence is near and your father fears that the commoners are scheming."

     Cassia frowned. "Scheming? What's going on."

     "I don't know. It's just a rumour, but I think your father sent you away to protect you."

     Cassia snorted. "I highly doubt that. My father would happily throw me at my enemies if he could, but he's stuck with me because I'm his only heir."

     "Don't say that, princess."

     Cassia ran her fingers down her long dark brown hair that cascaded down her back until it reached her hips. It was wavy and silky and smooth and Astra had braided it earlier, and she sat up. She didn't want to talk about this anymore. She hated talking about her father.

     "I'm going on a walk," Cassia said.

     She rose up, grabbed her satchel, and dusted off the blue dress she wore. It was like most of her dresses - long and reaching her heels, but cinching at the waist. And as she walked towards the door, Astra shot her a look.

     "Okay, where are we heading to?" Astra asked.

     "We aren't going anywhere." Cassia rolled her eyes. "I want to be alone."

     Astra opened her mouth to argue, but Cassia exited the cabin. The sun shone down on her, warming her skin and she could see the field that ran on for miles. And on that field was Liana, Chase and Hunter having a picnic with Locke. They were laughing and chatting and Cassia's heart twisted at the sight of them wearing smiles and chatting away. Hunter was turned away and staring off into the distance - at the forest that ran on for miles a few meters away, and Cassia's feet led her towards them.