Chapter 20

Hunter

     Whenever Hunter envisaged Cassia, he would smile. His heart would grow feathery and it would float far, far away from him - as if he wished to connect his heart to Cassia's. It was a feeling he'd never felt before. No one in his life could hold his heart the way Cassia possessed it. And that was why he couldn't do it anymore. For the first time ever, he would disobey his father.

     Hunter finished writing the note in his sketchbook and he tore the page out. Chase glanced at him from his bed and Hunter climbed out to give it to him.

     "This is for my father," Hunter said. "It's a note to say I'm out."

     Chase's eyes flew wide and he read the note quickly, his expression morphing to one of horror. Hunter stood there feeling as if it was hard to breathe.

     "Why?" Chase asked. "Why don't you want to be part of our mission anymore?"

     "Because of Cassia. I can't do this to her."

     Chase stood up and faced Hunter. His amber eyes held a million emotions, but they all led to one thing - terror.

     "Are you sure?" Chase asked. "You father won't be happy. You know how he is."

     "I'm sure. I've never been more sure of anything."

     Chase shook his head. He ran his fingers through his curls, looking agitated.

     "I know I told you I want you to be happy and I insisted you to go for Cassia, but I was being an idiot," Chase said. "She is the enemy. She will always be the enemy and for you to choose her over the mission is blasphemy."

     Hunter stilled. It hurt to see Chase take back his words.

     "Liana told me to go after Cassia, too," Hunter said. "You both encouraged it, so don't take back your words now."

     "Because we were both blinded by how lovesick you were! It was as if you infected us with the poison Cassia forced upon you. But now I'm telling you how it is - you will never be happy with her. Because of your father and his past, you can never be free when she is the reason we grew up caged."

     Hunter's heart sunk. He opened his mouth to deny it - to inform Chase he was senseless, but he wasn't so sure. And he hated that. He loathed how he couldn't be sure when it came to Cassia.

     "We only know my father's side of the story. Maybe this is all one big misunderstanding," Hunter whispered.

     "I highly doubt that," Chase said. "Look at Cassia's father - he is a tyrant and I doubt he is better than your father."

     Hunter was quiet. He didn't want to argue - not with Chase or Liana or even his father, which were the few people who'd been there for him when he had nothing. They knew him like no one else did - not even Cassia, and to throw them away was to throw away parts of himself.

     "I love you, Hunter," Chase said, patting his shoulder then. "I think you just lost sight of the mission, but you will come back to us. I know it. And Liana knows it, too."

     "How can you be so sure?"

     "Because if you don't come back to us you will lose us. And the few people who were there for you will never help you again, so choose wisely."

     Hunter opened his mouth to dispute further, but Chase unlatched the cabin door and left, taking Hunter's note with him. Hunter fell back, his back hitting against the soft mattress.