Chapter 9

Cassia

     Cassia and Astra were strolling around the field. She had asked Astra to join her and Astra had been stunned into silence, but nodded, and now Cassia and her were walking around the perimeter of the field - right next to the forest as the sun beamed down on them.

     The sun was bright and sizzling on them. The sky was clear as usual and birds soared above them, chirping as they chased each other around. A few people littered the field with their friends and despite the noise and despite the scene, Cassia was thinking about Hunter.

     She couldn't believe the words he said. Of how he had to be perfect because anything less wasn't enough. It was strange to think that somehow, they were very similar because she could relate to that. Not exactly in the way Hunter did, but she knew what it was like to strive for perfection because anything less wasn't good enough.

     And her heart tugged at the rage in Hunter. He wasn't an angry person - she could tell from the way he was with others, but she drove him crazy. Because she was stubborn and brainless and everything someone shouldn't be, she was enraging him.

     "Do you know much about Hunter?" Cassia asked.

     Astra frowned. "Not really. I've just met him."

     Cassia flushed. It was a silly question to ask her guard, but she asked anyways.

     "I don't think anyone really knows him," Astra continued. "I've overheard he only has a father. His mother passed away when he was young and he doesn't live close to the kingdom. Just somewhere in the outskirts of Oflaria."

     Cassia grew quiet. Her mother wasn't dead, but she wasn't in Cassia's life either. It was once again something they could relate on.

     "Why are you curious about him?" Astra asked.

     "Nothing." Cassia shrugged as if to brush it off. "I don't know. He's just different. Most commoners in this camp stay out of my way. I feel like people either fear me or hate me, but then there's him... Maybe he hates me now, but it took him a while to get there."

     Her voice cracked at the thought of him hating her. It was so foolish. So, so feebleminded when she tried so hard to push him away - to make him hate her.

     "I don't think he hates you." Astra frowned. "He seems to be always staring at you. And staring isn't usually reserved to someone you hate."

     Cassia flushed. She was guilty of doing the same thing.

     "Maybe he's trying to burn me with his eyes," Cassia joked. "That's what I try to do."

     Astra rolled her eyes and Cassia smiled. And to her surprise, Astra broke out into a smile as well. And at the mere sight, Cassia's heart blossomed.

     "Thank you for putting up with me," Cassia blurted out. Astra's eyes widened and Cassia beamed. "I appreciate you. I know it's your duty to be here, but I'm really happy I'm not alone. I would go insane without you."

     Astra gaped at Cassia as if she'd grown a second head. "Princess... has someone poisoned you? Hit you over the head or something?"

     Cassia glowered and Astra grinned. Her blue eyes lit up. "Now there's my princess."

     Cassia rolled her eyes, but now a bunch of questions filled her mind. Because for once, she wanted to learn more about Astra.

     "How did you end up becoming my guard anyways?" Cassia asked. "You were my guard since you were seventeen. How in the world did you get stuck with me?"