Chapter 11

Cassia

     Cassia stood in front of Dawson along with the other campers. It was the day of another contest and today, they were to start the contest bright and early at noon. Everyone was fidgeting in their spots. They were standing before the forest and Dawson was examining them.

     Cassia could feel Hunter watching her, but she forced herself to stare at Dawson instead. She was still thrilled by the way she beat him - after so many contests, she finally bested him, and she was thriving. But, she also couldn't forget what he said about being tied up.

     She couldn't forget the way it made her heart pound.

     "Good afternoon everyone," Dawson said. "Today, we have a fun contest because drumroll please... it's a scavenger hunt!"

     Cassia's eyes flew wide. Astra smiled, looking just as excited as Cassia felt.

     "But there's a plot twist." Dawson waved his hands like jazz hands. "We will be doing this contest in pairs! So you must work with another person to complete this contest."

     "Perfect," Astra said. "You and I can be together, Princess."

     Cassia smiled. "I'd really like that."

     "But you can't choose your partners," Dawson said. Immediately, Cassia's heart dropped. "Because your partner is based on your current rankings. So the two highest rankers are paired together, then the next two, and so on. Which means, we start with Hunter and Cassia being together. Then we have..."

     Cassia didn't listen to the rest of what Dawson said. Her heart dropped. She was frozen as her heart slammed against her chest.

     This couldn't be happening.

     "Cassia."

     Cassia jumped at Hunter's voice. In the blink of an eye, he was at her side and she gaped at him, as if he'd come straight out of a horror movie.

     "Yes?" Cassia said.

     "We're paired up. So, I came to your side."

     Hunter smiled and Cassia blinked. She thought Hunter would be horrified. That he'd run into the forest screaming and leave her behind, but somehow, he was right at her side.

     "Okay, well now that I listed off the pairs, get with your partners and get a map from me," Dawson said. "And once I give the signal, you may start."

     Astra nodded towards Cassia before she left and Cassia clasped her hands together. Her aggravating heart was still racing as Hunter and her walked towards Dawson.

     It was strange being around him. She could still feel his hands on her, keeping her steady and upright, and she recalled the way he watched her during the last contest. She didn't understand what Hunter wanted from her. She kept pushing him away, kept doing things to make him hate her, but he was relentless.

     They took the map from Dawson and Hunter opened it up, and Cassia peered at it. It was the map of the camp along with the forest, and there was a spot marked on the map that led them to a place near a river.

     "So on your maps you have different locations you must travel to," Dawson said. "And once you get to your destination, you must find the next map hidden there. That map will lead you to the next destination and so on. There are a total of three locations. And the first one to come back wins. Got it?"

     They nodded. Cassia grew excited, even with Hunter at her side.

     "Okay, now everyone has their maps," Dawson said. "Ready? Begin!"