Chapter 14

Hunter

     Hunter laid in bed with his sketchbook in his hand again. He was drawing a princess, but this time the princess was fighting off a fire breathing dragon. The princess had brown hair that trailed down her back and big brown eyes. Her cheeks were also filled with blush, as if the dragon had been flirting with her and Hunter smiled cheekily.

     "Hunter, your father sent a note," Chase said.

     Hunter jolted, eyes flying wide as he hesitated, before he placed his sketchbook down on his bed. He stood up and went to Chase who was sitting on the edge of his bed.

     "Here," Chase said, handing it to him.

     Hunter took the note and stiffened at what it said: We will be acting soon. Be prepared.

     For a moment, Hunter did nothing but stare at the note, feeling his heart sink at his father's words. It felt like time had stopped ticking and he hoped it would because he needed more time.

     Hunter crumpled the note and shoved it into his pocket. He strode to his bed and plopped down, running his fingers through his hair.

     "What do you think?" Chase asked.

     "I don't know," Hunter shot back. "I don't want to think about it."

     Chase grew quiet for a moment. His eyes were clouded with emotions before he spoke.

     "You care for Cassia, don't you?"

     Hunter tensed. He wanted to deny it - to tell Chase there was no way he could care for her, but he wasn't sure. He didn't know how he felt anymore and it was driving him insane.

     "I don't know," Hunter said. "I just don't know what I'm doing anymore."

     Chase smiled sadly. He stood up and strode to Hunter and stood there, his eyes gentle.

     "I want you to be happy," Chase said. "We came to Camp Trillion to better our lives, so do what makes you happy. I'm not saying I'll join you on the path you choose, but... don't worry about what others think. This is your life at the end of the day."

     Hunter froze. Of all the things Chase could have said, he didn't expect that.

     "I'm sorry I seem disloyal," Hunter said. "I just... I don't know. I didn't expect things to turn out the way they did and now I feel lost on what I should be doing."

     "And that's fine. I'm sure your father wouldn't mind waiting for you to figure things out."

     Hunter doubted that. His father had a short temper - he had the scars to prove it.

     "Let's go to the contest," Hunter said, shoving the topic aside. He stood up and Chase nodded, and together they went off to the contest.

*****

     All the campers stood in front of the forest. Dawson stood ahead of them and Hunter's eyes scanned the crowd as the sun beamed down on them on the sunny afternoon.

     But as usual, he didn't care about the other campers - never had. His eyes searched for the girl with big brown eyes and soon, his eyes fell upon Cassia, who's eyes slid to his. And for once, she didn't seem surprised to see him. She simply smiled.

     He bowed towards her and now Cassia seemed surprised. She lifted her hand and waved carefully and he couldn't help but smile. He couldn't help the way it made his heart feel.