Chapter 35

Cassia

     Cassia and Kain circled each other, their eyes fixated on one another. Both their swords were brandished, reflecting iridescent lights across the wooden stage. Everyone had backed away from them, giving them space for the duel that would determine who the future ruler of Oflaria would be.

     Kain lunged forward and Cassia parried his sword away. For a mere second he was open and Cassia struck forward, but in lightening speed Kain blocked her blow and their swords rang out. The crowd gasped and Cassia gritted her teeth as she plunged forward.

     She unleashed a flurry of blows on Kain now, her sword swinging wildly as she pushed him farther and farther back. Kain's eyes flew wide; he hadn't expected someone like Cassia to force him back, but she did and Cassia smirked. Maybe just maybe, she could win.

     But then, Kain slammed his sword down on Cassia's and she gasped at the impact. Her entire arm vibrated and Kain shoved her back, causing her to stumble away. And before Cassia could catch her balance, Kain lashed his sword forward and Cassia fell back.

     Her knees hit the ground and she kneeled there for a moment, gasping for breath. Kain may not be as fast as Cassia, but he was definitely stronger and Cassia threw her sword up to block Kain's next blow. Their swords collided and the sound pieced the air and the crowd shouted out as Cassia's sword fell down for a moment.

     "Pathetic." Kain laughed. "What a fool you are to think you could defeat me."

     Cassia gasped for breath before pulling herself up, lunging away before Kain could strike her down. She wheeled towards him, body shuddering and aching and she gasped as Kain plunged his sword forward, slicing a gash into her arm.

     Warm blood seeped out of the wound and Cassia backed away, stunned. She had grown up with a sword in her hand, duelling others and practicing with many different opponents, but no one had ever drawn blood. No one had ever looked so delighted to see her hurt.

     "Cassia! Fight back!" someone in the crowd shouted.

     Cassia shot them a dark look. What did they think she was doing?

     "You can do this!" Maria cried out and Cassia's heart leapt to her throat. "We need you as our future Queen of Oflaria."

     Cassia's eyes flew wide as she remembered what Maria once said; that they needed Cassia as their future queen. And to Cassia surprise, she found herself smiling.

     "Why are you smiling?" Kain sneered.

     He thrusted his sword forward and Cassia hopped away; a newfound adrenaline pumping through her. She then stuck her sword forward and Kain parried it away, but Cassia attacked again, leaving Kain to grunt as he barely missed it.

     Once again, Cassia unleashed a flurry of blows, her legs pushing her forward, her arms swinging around to keep Kain on his toes. Kain was now being pushed back again. His eyes grew wide, his arms trembling as he tried to keep up with Cassia, and Cassia plunged her sword forward, nicking Kain's neck.

     He gasped and Cassia struck again, this time slashing his thigh and Kain shouted out as his leg gave out and he fell to his knees. He kneeled in front of her - one leg propped up as blood leaked from its, and Kain stared up at Cassia, looking utterly shocked.

     "I won," Cassia said, smirking at the sight of Kain bleeding on the ground. "You know that, so surrender."

     Kain growled and rose to stand, but his leg gave out and once again he was on the ground. He glared at Cassia.