Advice 19: How To Pray

"Therefore, you should pray like this: Our Father in heaven, your name be honored as holy. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:9-13‬ ‭CSB‬‬

**If you're struggling with praying I decided to share what I learned in a devotional called "Praying Effectively." My prayer life is something I've been struggling with too! This was the plan info:

"If you're like many Christians, you want an effective prayer life but find it difficult to remain consistent. Pastor Bayless Conley challenges you to to use the simple acrostic P-R-A-Y as a blueprint for an effective, fulfilling prayer life. You'll notice a difference in your daily life and discover the great blessings God has waiting for you in the place of prayer."

Here's My Summary:

How To Pray:

P- Praise

Thank God for all he has done, both the things you're aware of and the ones you're not.

R- Repent (ask for forgiveness )

* Ask God to help you forgive others and ask for forgiveness.*

Verses about you forgiving others.

"So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift."
– Matthew 5:23-24

"For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly father will also forgive you."
– Matthew 6:14

"Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends."
– Proverbs 17:9

Verses About God Forgiving You

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
—1 John 1:9

"For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more."
– Hebrews 8:12

"To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."
– Acts 10:43

A-Ask (on behalf of you or someone else)

You can ask for anything and God will answer, if it is his will. We can't get everything we ask for though. You can pray for your friend/family, situations in the world, pray for him to help you with your prayer life, pray for him to help you be more like him, pray for him to help you forgive,  pray for him to help you not fall into temptation, etc.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."
-Matthew 7:7

22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."
-Matthew 21:22
*** Be careful with this verse because whatever you ask for still has to be within God's will. You can't ask him to hurt someone for you and expect him to do it, for example, because that would be cruel!

Y-Yield (Pause/ Listen/Meditate/Reflect)

You can Pause and Listen for words that may be spoken to your heart. This is something I find hard to do because sitting down in silence is not easy lol. You can meditate on Gods word, if you read it before you prayed. You can reflect on all the things God has done and keep thanking him.

Verses

"I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways."
-Psalm 119:15

I remember the days of old; I meditate on all that you have done; I ponder the work of your hands.
-Psalm 143:5

When I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
-Psalm 63:6

Let me know if you need me to pray for you about anything, or if you need to talk! You can leave it in the comments or Dm me. ❤️