15. muted

Stream AU
George is streaming Minecraft. In the last few minutes of the stream, Dream joins his call, but no one in chat can hear what he's saying. But he must be saying something, because George's face is getting redder and redder. [implied fluff] 

[a/n: this is going to seem like I'm trying to rewrite that part in heat waves (you know, the "i burn you, you melt me" chapter), but I swear I got the idea for this from a beeduo clip then thought "oh wait." so if this seems too much like heat waves, it wasn't intentional.]

The familar sound of someone joining his Discord VC rings through George's headset. His gaze swings to look at his second monitor, where Discord is pulled up. A small profile sits under his own colorful profile. His jaw drops in mock surprise.

"It's Dream," he says, looking into camera. The chat starts spamming Dream's name, pride emotes, green and blue hearts, and "DNF." He smiles and shakes his head. His chat does this every time. 

"Hey, George," Dream says, his voice thick with sleep. George glances at the time and mentally subracts 5 hours. 

"Did you just wake up?" he asks. "It's, like, 2 pm in Florida." 

Dream chuckles. "Yeah, I was taking a nap. Somehow. Sapnap left to go hang out with friends, so maybe that's how. Now that I think about it."

George giggles before looking back at chat. "Wait, you guys can't hear him?" he asks as his hands busy themselves on his keyboard. His Minecraft persona kills a sheep. 

The chat starts spamming "what's he saying" and "we can't hear him." Dream laughs. 

"They can't hear me?"

"I must've messed something up," George mutters, pausing his game. He pulls up controls for what chat can and can't hear. "Oh, Discord is muted, for some reason."

{Dream's POV}

"Wait," I say. "Don't fix it."

"Why not?" George asks. I watch his face on my second monitor. He looks into camera, at chat. It's visible he thinks I'm going crazy.

I smile. "'Cause then they'll hear me."

George frowns at his screen. "Isn't that what you want?"

My heart stammers, like it does every time I "flirt" with George. 

Ever since the DNF ship formed, I've seen George in a different light. I know all his little mannerisms and tics, his likes and dislikes, his goals; he doesn't tell me everything, but he certaintly tells me a lot. 

"Yeah," I answer, suddenly aware I haven't spoken in a few minutes. "I don't want them to hear."

George's chat is still spamming, asking what I'm saying. 

"It's fine, chat," George says. "He's not saying anything bad."

I feel an eyebrow arch. "Wanna bet?" I murmur.

On stream, George's cheeks get the slightest rosy color to them. The chat switches from asking what I'm saying to saying he's flustered.

"I'm not flustered, chat," he says defensively.

"Yeah you are," I say, smiling.

"No I'm not."

"It's cute on you," I interrupt. "Like you're nervous or shy."

His cheeks grow rosier. 

I smile bigger. "Did you like that?" I ask.

He frowns into camera. This time at me. "Shut up," he mutters, looking back down.