44. when you're not there

Droncert AU
[Requested by @Ellie4381]
Dream is on tour, and George is following him across the country, despite the fans thinking he's still in Orlando with Sapnap. [fluff]

"Hey, Nick?" Dream asks, knocking on Sapnap's door. They had just gotten home, and Dream's tour starts in a couple days. All three of them were exhausted, but Dream felt too busy to sleep.

Sapnap grunts from behind the door, which probably means he's face-down in his bed by now. Dream opens the door and sees he's exactly correct. He isn't even under the blankets.

"I know you're about to pass out," Dream says, gently easing the door shut, "but Ken and the team are really trying to finish up last minute shit for the tour and they need to know if you're coming or not."

They'd had this conversation when the tour was first being planned, but that was months ago. Even before the EP had been finalized. His decision could have wavered since then, and Dream can hardly remember his original choice anyways.

Sapnap sighs and sits up. "Dude, I'm so sick of traveling," he says. He runs a hand through his hair, hat no where to be seen. "I'm sorry, but we've barely been home since, like, before Spain. That's what it feels like, anyways," he adds a second later before slumping back against the mattress, this time on his back. 

"Fair enough," Dream says. "You'll be at the Orlando one, though?"

"Yeah, of course," Sapnap says. His voice is rapidly growing more slurred with the pull of sleep. "I'm really sorry, bro."

Dream shrugs. "No sweat," he says. "It's not like Twitter stans won't be recording the whole thing. You won't miss much."

Sapnap scoffs. "True," he says. "I'll hire George to document for me anyways."

"I haven't asked him yet," Dream says, swiping at his nose with his thumb. "I was going to right after I asked you."

Sapnap's head falls against his pillow to glare at Dream. "You have to ask?" he mutters. "Wow, your relationship is already failing."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Dream huffs, frowning. He crosses his arms over his chest and shifts his weight. God, he really wants to pass out right about now.

"Dream," Sapnap says, pushing himself up onto an elbow. "There's literally no way he's not going with you. He's like a clingy puppy; he'd follow you to the moon and back. It's sickening to watch." He concludes his mini-speech with a landing back against the mattress. 

Dream's eyebrows twitch. "Sorry?" he says, smirking. 

Sapnap scoffs. "You'd better be," he mumbles, turning to the wall. "Now fuck off and let me sleep."

///

Dream still asks George, not that he needs to.

"You're an idiot," George says, scrolling through TikTok on his phone. 

"How am I an idiot?" Dream asks from the couch, watching him as he lays on his stomach. George is curled up in the armchair, which is where he can usually be found if he isn't in Dream's room. 

"Why wouldn't I come with you?" George asks, giving Dream a look. "I'd come with you regardless."

Dream huffs. "Regardless of what?"

"Dunno," George says with a shrug. "Regardless of whether or not you actually fucking kissed me, you freak." 

Their relationship was not a recent developement. It had been brewing for years behind screens and over late night phone calls, but when George finally landed in America last October, it all felt so new and so real