14. dreams and nightmares

God AU
(creds for the idea to @i-ran-outof-names !!!)

Dream is in prison, George is in Kinoko Kingdom, heartbroken. One day, he gets lost in the woods, unable to determine where he came from and where he's going. He stumbles across a statue of an ancient god, but makes a rookie mistake of looking directly at its eyes; which means he's cursed. Turns out the god he's cursed with isn't so bad afterall... [fluff, angst]

(a/n: yes, this will be dreamxd and george)

CW// mentions of su!c!de and death, gruesome scene

It's a warning everyone is told at some point in their lives. 

Never wander too far into the forest. If you do, avoid random statues at all costs. If you fail that too, don't make eye contact. But still, if you still can't follow simple directions, cross your fingers and pray that the god you've just been cursed with isn't awful.

***

Dream is in prison. He's there for the rest of his life and George's, trapped for something George is certain he didn't do. But no one in SMP will listen, especially not Sam -- the new warden -- or Sapnap, who George always figured would have Dream's back. 

He figured wrong. 

Clearly. 

Because as long as George has been in Kinoko Kingdom, Dream's name has only been whispered through the hallways, no one daring to speak it loud enough in Sapnap's presence. No one knows what he'll say or do, and no one really wants to find out. Dream was his best friend, but he turned sour, like milk left out too long. He and George were forced to watch, and while Sapnap distanced himself, George did not, blinded by a past love. Sure, Dream still loved him, and George reciprocated it, but it wasn't the same. Not like when they were younger. 

Now look where they were. 

No matter. 

"What's done is done," George mutters under his breath.

He shivers, and it dawns on him that maybe he should actually pay attention to where he's going. He looks up and stops; so does his heart. He's already broken one of the carefully explained rules, written eons ago to protect from this happening: he wandered too far into the forest. 

Now he's found a statue. 

Curiousity killed the cat, he reminds himself. 

But satisfaction brought it back, a second voice pipes up. 

It gets the better of him, and he walks towards the structure, which is covered head to toe in soft moss and cracks in the who-knows-how-old stone.

The back is facing him, and from here he can see four large wings protruding from the back of the god, along with several arms spreading up. A long, flowing cape extends and trails from the shoulder blades, and smaller wings are in place of ears on the head of the god. Several large halos surround the god's head, floating in mid air, as if held up by invisible strings connected to the trees protecting the statue from the sun. 

George rounds to the front of the statue, keeping his gaze down. The god is sitting on a concrete block, its feet firmly connected to it. Even smaller wings come out of its ankles. 

The god is dressed in typical god-like garb: robe that hugs to its waist and falls down to the knees, showing off the shoulders and collarbone, and the strong muscles that lined the god's arms. The cape is held in place by what George recognizes as an ender eye in front of the sternum. He also notes that the arms all seem to hover instead of connect to the god's torso, except two: the "normal" arms. But most peculiar was the mask held in the god's left "real" arm.