Unusual

Asia's POV

We walked out the door and I still didn't get my food, but for the first time in what seemed like forever, I was happy. I was happy to be alive.

"Whatcha looking at?" Dallas asked as he lit his cigarette.

"The buildings. They're so tall, but there's no people. And they aren't office buildings, are they? I mean, I guess there are some short buildings. I dunno. It's just all very unusual."

"Unusual?" He asked.

"Well, yeah. I mean, I run half way across the country and happen to land in the same city as you, Dominick follows me all the way down here and now has to find a way back up as soon as possible, the buildings are so tall for a country town, but some are short, and there's barely any people. It's all so new."

"It's quite the change. But it is a crazy coincidence you ended up down here. I don't remember telling you this was where I was."

"You didn't. That's the thing. Even if you did, I doubt I would have even remembered it."

He handed me a cigarette and gave me a look, implying that he was asking if I wanted it.

I took it out of his hand and used his lit cigarette to light mine.

We walked in silence for a bit until I spoke up. "So how's life down here? Ya like it more than New York?"

"They both have their perks. Country towns are more on the low. Less crime, which is both good and bad." He grinned. "But I definitely like more people. Sometimes. I dunno. I guess it all depends on my mood."

"Oh..." I muttered.

He wasn't acting how I remembered. We used to be able to talk for an hour without missing a beat on anything. Now it's just awkward.

Very unusual.

I brushed it off and we walked to this bar. He opened the door for me and I didn't question anything. I guess Dally didn't find it weird that I had a suitcase and a backpack at a bar.

"Hey, man." Dallas said walking up to someone. He looked a little bit older than him and slightly taller.

"Hey. Who's this?" He asked.

"This is Asia. Asia, this is Buck." I gave him a cocky grin.

"Roommate?"

"For a little bit." Dallas said taking the cigarette out of his hand.

Maybe it was just me, but the way he worded that was a little... I dunno... unusual? I shrugged it off like it was nothing.

"Sylvia came by today."

"Did you tell her to fuck off?" He asked.

"Told her to come back another time." Buck said smoking his cigar.

"Jesus..." Dallas mumbled. "Come on, Doll. Let's get outta here before she comes over." He muttered.

I followed him around with my huge suitcase and backpack up a flight of stairs to a room in the back of the upstairs hallway.

We walked inside and he closed the door behind us. He ran his hands over his face. "You ok?" I asked.

"Sylvia is killing me." He took a breath. "Sorry I've been in a bad mood since you've got here. She's just had a hard time accepting the fact I don't want her anymore." He said.

"It's alright. Does she come here often."

"Unfortunately. I told Buck to tell her to fuck off when she comes here, but he won't do it."

"Well, shoot. I'll tell her if I see her." I said.

He grinned. "I'm sure of it. Wanna go get something to eat downstairs? Sorry I pulled ya away at breakfast. We've got sandwiches... salads... probably got some soup in there." He said thinking.

I grinned. "I'd love to."

We walked downstairs and he made sure to walk behind me, although I'm pretty sure it was to stare at my ass.

But hey... I didn't oppose.

We went and sat at the barstools and suddenly everything wasn't so unusual. Dallas was talking to me, I was talking to him and I fell in love with him all over again.

Well... maybe. I'm not sure about love. It's hard to figure that out when you've never felt it before.

But this was exactly what I knew him as. What I missed him for.

I wasn't sure how long we talked. I basically told him every waking detail about the past year.

Then he told me every waking detail from the past year in Oklahoma.

"Shoot. I told Charlie I'd call him. Do you have a phone?" I asked changing the subject.

"Around the corner." He said pointing.

I walked behind the counter and dialed the number I kept in my pocket.

"Hello?" A woman asked.

God, I hated this woman.

"Hi, this is Misses Ariana Adams calling from St. Luke's Prep Academy. Can we speak to Charlie Bates?" I said in the most professional tone I could.

"Oh, yes. Charlie! Someone from school is calling!" She yelled taking the phone away from her mouth.

There was a pause for a moment and for a second I thought she was into me.

"Hello?" Charlie asked.

"Hey, it's Asia."

"Oh thank God. I thought I was gonna have to talk to a guidance counselor or something."

I laughed. "I gotta make this quick or your phone bill is gonna hate you. I'm in Oklahoma. Dominick followed me, like the asshole he is, and I ran into someone."

"You ran into someone?" He asked.

Dallas grabbed the phone from my hands. "Hey, man."

I barely heard Charlie respond. "Dallas? No way! What are you doing down there?"

I took the phone back. "We have to go. I'll see you later." I said, hanging up right after.

"Aww, come on."

"His mom hates me. When she finds out the call was from Oklahoma, she'll loose her shit."

Dallas grinned. We sat back down for another few minutes and my lips were inches away from his.

He made the first move. I put my hands around his neck as his made their way to my waste.

I never wanted to leave.

I heard the door open and murderous scream soon after. I jumped up and Dallas looked over.

"Jesus Christ..." He mumbled.