TWENTY FIVE

Racing out of my front door, the glances of my neighbors walking by while giving Levi the oddest gaze of confusion, he just remained into the unknown so casually toward it all

I was appalled that he even had the guts to come this far. Fear was like his middle name. 

But thank God his rude parents weren't anywhere nearby. Well, at least I hoped.

"Levi?!" I asked in the best whisperer-yell I could do, without letting others know I knew him so well.

But peering at me kindly he gave off a sweet and apologetic look, soon rushing up and gripping my hand softly. "Ivy, I am so sorry for my parents! They should've never said the things they did and if I could take it all back, I would. Please forgive me for getting ya into this mess, I swear it won't ever happen again..." He kept going on without taking a deep breath in or even out.

Though as much as I loved him pouring his heart into this, it was clear now right in the open wasn't the best time to discuss it before he scared the others away.

"Thank ya, thank ya! All is well, really. I've heard worse from grocers sometimes back in town–you'd be surprised. But please I beg of ya, let's just go back to ya car and I can show up to work tomorrow with a smile on my face." I nodded panicky, pushing my hand away and trying to rush back inside.

But he stopped abruptly and finally became able to truly breathe again, pulling me back.

"Whoa, whoa. Hey wait a minute, I did run all this way here—well, drove all this way here. I followed the bus ya took. But I am quite hungry. Can't I have at least a bite to eat?" He smirked and shrugged.

Oh he knew what he was doing. I commend him on his performance. But he couldn't stay. I would love it if he did more than anything, but some things are better wished than easily done.

"I'd have to take time to make it, and I'm very busy. Sorry." I tried turning down.

"Well then how about a drink of water?"

"We don't have water." I tried to lie but clearly from his knowing look, I ain't very good at it.

But nothing helped especially when Diana then made herself present. "Hey Ivy! The water on the faucet won't stop running!"

Oh lord. She was gonna flood the whole house if I don't get in there quick.

Spinning to Levi who was now waving cheerfully, I finally gave in and compiled— linking his hand to mine as we both raced to the backyard area. There was no way he could come to the front door or Mama would have a huge tizzy I was certain.

It was one thing about going to fancy parties with him at night without her getting too questionable. But to bring a wildly sexy white man in her presence that knew me...there were not enough hours in the day to beat around that.